1977 gas filling problem

fomoco998
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Every since I bought it last November I have had problem filling at gas stations. Pump shuts off repeatedly and tried different stations. Is this a common problem or is there a fix?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Perhaps try pulling the nozzle out of the filler neck a bit or setting the pump nozzle to a lower volume setting via the handle. Gas splashing back can trip the FULL mechanism... Gas nozzles shut off when liquid is sucked up into the handle's venturi nozzle instead of air. A restrictive gas tank filler pipe can trigger it due to splash back.

I have a 1980 T-Bird in which the same thing occurs. I am going to check on this tommorrow. It has to do with either a blockage or gasket failure. A fellow at a car parts store told me what
had to be done to fix it, but over time I have forgot. Will post solution after I talk with them agan.

The only vent tube is on top of tank and a hose coming over toward rear end, Nothing in filler tube. Going to check hose.

Back