1977 Engine & Transmission Identification

RamCR
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
It's my first post. I have a '77 tbird and I'm in the midst of trying to change the transmission fluid and filter and it's become a task of its own to find the filter kit for it, specially since I'm not aware of which engine I'm working with and whether the transmission is the stock transmission. Is there a way to get these specs sorted out? Sticker on the door in the engine bay? I have the manual for it
received_836660807786869.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

That sticker on the valve cover should list the displacement of the motor or the sticker on the top radiator support.

Is the top of the distributor cap at an angle or level with the top of the engine?

The 302 or 351W will have the FMX transmission. Not sure what the 400M/351M came with?

Google is your friend! Oil filter is right above the Oil Pan.

This is the oil fitler- https://amzn.to/3QWmu4v

oil-filter.jpg

That sticker on the valve cover should list the displacement of the motor or the sticker on the top radiator support.

Is the top of the distributor cap at an angle or level with the top of the engine?

The 302 or 351W will have the FMX transmission. Not sure what the 400M/351M came with?

These are the stickers I was able to find. I don't see any mention in regards to the engine, and as far as the transmission it just says "W". I appreciate your reply to the post.

Although the label has been damaged and obscured a lot of the info you can make out 351M.. That is what engine you have. Google is your friend identifying the transmission. Just search for 1977 Ford Thunderbird trans code W.

Was the Windsor 149 HP and the Modified the 161 HP on the 351 CID engines? Or vise versa?

Back