1971 429 how to change alternator belt

Dunno, I'd have to look, will get back to you on that.

if it looks like this 429. you'll probably have to loosen the power steering pump bolts to get it around the tension-er pulley. See the nut on the very end of the steering pump bracket on the right of picture? There's a nut behind the bracket also. Unloosen the inner nut and back it off . Unloosen the top bolt & bottom bolt with the slot in it to move the steering pump pulley.Tighten up the nut on the outside of bracket to put tension back on the belt. Top black pulley on top of picture is an idler pulley with adjusting nut on the back of it. Put a 1/2 inch ratchet or breaker bar into the slot on the front to tighten the belt back up. If it's the pulleys between the water pump and crankshaft it might be a snug fit but it should go. If not just loosen the fan bolts just enough to let the pulley tilt just a bit to get the belt between them. GOOD LUCK. Keep me postedView attachment 3332
I finally got around to it yesterday. And you were correct. I loosened up the 4 bolts holding the fan pulleys in, shook the pulleys while I finagled the belt through and slid it into place. Thanks for the guidance.

I finally got around to it yesterday. And you were correct. I loosened up the 4 bolts holding the fan pulleys in, shook the pulleys while I finagled the belt through and slid it into place. Thanks for the guidance.
Anytime to be helpful

Joined just because I read this thread and after many years wondering when my Autolite belt would die and leave me stranded, I replaced mine. And it wasn't as hard as you might think. And only the 2 alternator bolts were loosened. The water pump pulley and the crank pulley are so close together that they do not leave room for the whole belt to go in easily. That said, I wedged the new belt in between the pulleys and then used the crank pulley bolt to rotate the crank, it pinched the belt just enough for it to fall into place. Worked champ. Save yourself the time in the future.

Joined just because I read this thread and after many years wondering when my Autolite belt would die and leave me stranded, I replaced mine. And it wasn't as hard as you might think. And only the 2 alternator bolts were loosened. The water pump pulley and the crank pulley are so close together that they do not leave room for the whole belt to go in easily. That said, I wedged the new belt in between the pulleys and then used the crank pulley bolt to rotate the crank, it pinched the belt just enough for it to fall into place. Worked champ. Save yourself the time in the future.
If it's that tight which it is. I would still say next time loosen the fan bolts a bit and put it on. Takes an extra 5 minutes. That way you know you're not slightly cutting into the new belt by forcing it between the pulleys which will weaken it down the road. Iv'e done it both ways but still choose to take the extra 5 minute route.

Back