1970 Has anyone done an EV conversion?

70Tbird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone done an EV (electric vehicle) conversion for their 1970+ T-bird? I have a 1970 2-door Landau that has a 460 engine and C6 transmission that both need to be rebuilt. I was thinking of ditching both and replacing with an electric motor and battery packs. Does anyone have experience with doing something like that before on these larger cars? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Added for you.
model-year.jpg

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work and anTON OF MONEY converting these big cars over to an electric drive. Hell the batteries alone would set you back thousands. This isn’t even figuring the costs of the electric motors, controllers for them, the cooling system and everything else that goes with an electric car. Then there is the modifications needed to properly install it. Removing of all the old things. Rigging something up for your drive wheels. Since you no longer need the rear end or axle. That is unless you are going for some hybrid thing. Your better off just rebuilding the old 460 and c6 tranny.

Sounds like a hell of a lot of work and anTON OF MONEY converting these big cars over to an electric drive. Hell the batteries alone would set you back thousands. This isn’t even figuring the costs of the electric motors, controllers for them, the cooling system and everything else that goes with an electric car. Then there is the modifications needed to properly install it. Removing of all the old things. Rigging something up for your drive wheels. Since you no longer need the rear end or axle. That is unless you are going for some hybrid thing. Your better off just rebuilding the old 460 and c6 tranny.
Think it would be easier to make it fly, but if you can do all the work maybe doable ? a 4000 lb. car requires alot of power to get down the road,,, more than say 20 miles. What do you need to do it for? economy, speed, just to be different? Hum

I was just reading an article about this becoming a popular option, or at least in the eyes of the author. The name of the company is Electric GT and what they have developed is a unit that resembles a V8. Not sure of cost as it wasn’t stated in the article. It does come with a coupling that allows it to mate to your existing trans. Comments I read stated approx 20k and for that amount of cash you could certainly have your original drivetrain built into quite a beast.

I was just reading an article about this becoming a popular option, or at least in the eyes of the author. The name of the company is Electric GT and what they have developed is a unit that resembles a V8. Not sure of cost as it wasn’t stated in the article. It does come with a coupling that allows it to mate to your existing trans. Comments I read stated approx 20k and for that amount of cash you could certainly have your original drivetrain built into quite a beast.
Seems pointless as the entire point of getting an electric drive is so you can ditch the drivetrain. Electric motors are 100% more efficient than any conventional engine and transmission.

Just he old 3-sp non-locking transmission would probably waste 20% of your charge all by itself. If you have a lot of money and you want this as a project, then have fun with it. But you wouldn't get much in the way of range for a daily driver. Fossil fuels are still king of the energy density game by a long shot.

Has anyone done an EV (electric vehicle) conversion for their 1970+ T-bird? I have a 1970 2-door Landau that has a 460 engine and C6 transmission that both need to be rebuilt. I was thinking of ditching both and replacing with an electric motor and battery packs. Does anyone have experience with doing something like that before on these larger cars? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I am in the research phase for converting a 1956. Did you ever start your conversion? Any pointers?

Back