1970-71 Taillight panel question

40birds
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Few
1B1FEBC5-5CAB-4DDB-9E36-61AF5DB88A3D.jpeg On my 70 I noticed that my trunk lock cover has remnants of black paint on it as well as the edges of the thunderbird lettering, the majority of it is stainless. My assumption is that this panel should be some variation of black so my question is this, have any of you guys painted this panel and if so what color did you use and what prep did you do to get the paint to adhere to the trim? In my picture the areas I’m questioning is the area surrounding the lenses.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The rear light panel on my 69 is black with sections of stainless steel strips. Mostly black. However the tail lights on a 69 are different that the 70's. Though looking at yours in that pictured it seems like it was blacked out as some point and then that rough black texture has rubbed off and now only the stainless is showing.

I’m fairly certain someone removed the color what ever it was. Yours is textured??

I’m fairly certain someone removed the color what ever it was. Yours is textured??
Well not textured per say. The black paint just feels a little rough. Probably from age I guess.

Last edited:
I think for your car only the outer trim was supposed to be stainless with the rest being painted black. I ca still see some of the black paint on the stainless. Guess due to age it has rubbed off.

77DFB3F0-6FD8-4D93-B18E-0FF041C8676A.jpeg
See how mine is? With just the outer part only stainless and the rest painted black? I think at one time your's was the same. Just over time its rubbed off. I guess you can take it off and just repaint it? The paint looks like some kind of flat matte black. Figure its up to you on how you would want it to look. Gloss or not.

Last edited:
From what I’ve heard it’s a Satin Black that was used. I’ll post up some pictures once I get it completed for future reference

ADFDC443-4C6F-4137-A1E9-63A4623CF160.jpeg 6EA7AEAB-CE91-49EF-88FD-3980945E488B.jpeg Weather has been junk here so not much progress. I have went with Mar-Hyde Satin Black and have done a little work on the trunk lock cover. I would love to replace the piece as it’s pretty rough but looks much better black than faded.

A5A6AF90-5562-40FE-A988-A42F18A9DD9F.jpeg 8EC8D198-6AA1-46E4-993C-E57C6C32433E.jpeg
Looks pretty good!
Thanks, it seems pretty durable. Some of the info on the Mar-Hyde paint was that you could spray it on foil, wad it up and it will still stick. I didn’t try that so we shall see how the durability is in a few months. It’s all done now and reinstalled. I would love to find a new trunk lock cover, mine is well worn and the spring doesn’t want to hold it completely shut

View attachment 3775 View attachment 3774
Thanks, it seems pretty durable. Some of the info on the Mar-Hyde paint was that you could spray it on foil, wad it up and it will still stick. I didn’t try that so we shall see how the durability is in a few months. It’s all done now and reinstalled. I would love to find a new trunk lock cover, mine is well worn and the spring doesn’t want to hold it completely shut
Looks great! Though on the trunk lock cover I'd say eBay is a choice you could hope for. Otherwise time to scour the internet in the hopes someone has one.

Back