1969 Thunderbird window problems

Chevy convert

Chevy convert

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi guys, new to the forum, I have a 1969 4-door 429 T-Bird and some of my windows don't work. Some also have some quirks, of which I am guessing is the wiring or something wrong with the power windows. The owner I bought it from said he replaced two of the four motors in the car and suggested it was a wiring issue. I don't truly know how to fix the wiring issue.

Thanks,
Chevy Convert

Mine was acting up when I first bought mine. if you can hear a click or any other noise around the window you're trying to roll down means you're getting power to the switch and motor and the motors probably bad. If you don't hear any noises you might have to check the switches in the dash itself

Careful not to pull up on the glass too hard for an upwards assist. Regluing the tracks to the glass is a pain.

I fixed 2 window motors on my 74 tbird that had shredded, with the help of this YouTube vid :
Thanks for the vid. I think I have a different problem with my 75. Motor makes no noise so maybe a bad switch is causing a power problem. Just instantly died while lowering the front passenger window.

Very likely a switch problem. Dirty contacts. To test the motor you'll need to remove the arm rest and door panel and then carefully peel back the water dam paper.

Any update to the power window issue? I‘m taking delivery of a 1969 4 door soon, that comes with window problems.

Hello, I engage the window switch and hear and feel the motor click but the window doesn't move , I can pull it up and down manually but does not operate when you use the switch. Any Ideas? DB

Hello, I engage the window switch and hear and feel the motor click but the window doesn't move , I can pull it up and down manually but does not operate when you use the switch. Any Ideas? DB
Sounds like a bad window motor. The switch is working getting power to it that's what the clicking sound is

Thanks Devil Dog but here is what I found out, when I removed the motor and the cover plate it was completely full of pieces plastic particles and other gunk. Cleaned it out pulled the gear off and plastic ring gear that connects to the motor gear put the only good working switch I had to it and the motor gear spun both ways so I figured out it wasn't the motor. I thought it must be the switch. Cleaned up the contacts on the old switch sprayed it with contact cleaner , assembled it and to determine for sure it was the switch and the motor gear spun both ways. So in reality it was neither , I still need the little plastic cams that are part of the gear assembly that wore out but they are on order and should be here this week. Thanks for responding. DB

Back