1969 Starter not stopping after engine start

OneAmongOthers

OneAmongOthers

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
So went to start my car today after leaving a service station where I had my oil changed and the starter started the engine, but kept on running and I had no choice by to drive the car home with the starter still going. I didn't have a choice as just wanted to get the car home before it stalled and I had to then pay for a tow. Didn't want to do that suffice to say. Anyway it eventually stopped. Car still seemed to run fine after that, but obviously it doesn't want to start after shutting it off. It tried to start, but the starter was very weak. What could this possible be? I mean I have another starter waiting to go on, but could have anything else gone wrong here? I am pretty sure the ring gear on the flex plate is fine, but the Bendix gear is probably toast.

Something is stuck. :D Sorry, I had to say that.

Specifically, the current to the starter isn't turning off when you moved the key into to 'run' position from 'start'. Likely it's the solenoid that is bad. Some Ford starters from that era have the solenoid integrated into the starter - my 1970 does anyway. In that case, replacing the starter will replace the solenoid. You should also find out why that happened, or at least look over the rest of the wiring. Battery cables, the heavy starter cable from the battery to the starter, even the battery itself needs to be checked to make sure you are getting all the current available. Low current will cause arcing in the contacts, which will weld them together. It also could just be a failed solenoid, especially if you've not replaced it recently. You have a 53 year old car, after all.

No need to include the make or model of your car in the subject since we are an all Thunderbird site. Edited.

Something is stuck. :D Sorry, I had to say that.

Specifically, the current to the starter isn't turning off when you moved the key into to 'run' position from 'start'. Likely it's the solenoid that is bad. Some Ford starters from that era have the solenoid integrated into the starter - my 1970 does anyway. In that case, replacing the starter will replace the solenoid. You should also find out why that happened, or at least look over the rest of the wiring. Battery cables, the heavy starter cable from the battery to the starter, even the battery itself needs to be checked to make sure you are getting all the current available. Low current will cause arcing in the contacts, which will weld them together. It also could just be a failed solenoid, especially if you've not replaced it recently. You have a 53 year old car, after all.
Okay… we’ll it’s way to cold to be climbing under the car to work on it so I guess she sits until spring time. At least the oil is clean and fresh. Here’s the new starter. I believe you are right and the solenoid is on the starter. I have been having trouble with this one and honestly it may be the original or something that’s easily very old.

746F59C4-3489-4E18-B102-A22307CEAE96.jpeg

Sounds like the starter might've shorted out and wouldn't disengage the Bendix drive. I've had this happen before and had to hit the starter with a hammer by the Bendix drive to disengage it. Shouldn't be a problem after you get the new starter installed. Happens when starters get old

Back