1969 Rear Vent Gauge

Chevy convert

Chevy convert

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
TLDR: The park warning light in the rear vent gauge turns on after I turn the ignition, which stops me from starting the car, even when the car is in park.

Hello again,

Every time I start my '69 T-bird, a red warning light labeled park turns on, which stops me from turning the car on. This light is present on the right-most gauge (rear vent), and is on the left side of the gauge. I have been told to hold the brake and put the car out-and-into park, but it the light still turns on and blocks the car from starting. I then have to start the car in neutral to get the car to start. I do not know if it is an electronic issue, or a mechanical issue with the gears. I would like to permanently remove this feature from the car. Thanks you.

-Chevy Convert

TLDR: The park warning light in the rear vent gauge turns on after I turn the ignition, which stops me from starting the car, even when the car is in park.

Hello again,

Every time I start my '69 T-bird, a red warning light labeled park turns on, which stops me from turning the car on. This light is present on the right-most gauge (rear vent), and is on the left side of the gauge. I have been told to hold the brake and put the car out-and-into park, but it the light still turns on and blocks the car from starting. I then have to start the car in neutral to get the car to start. I do not know if it is an electronic issue, or a mechanical issue with the gears. I would like to permanently remove this feature from the car. Thanks you.

-Chevy Convert
May I clarify, it is not labeled park. It is labeled "belts." I meant that the belts light turns on when my car is in park and prohibits me from starting the car in the park gear.

Never had that happen to me. I doubt the seat belt light is keeping you from starting the car. It could be a faulty neutral safety switch. Or some aftermarket thing some previous owner put into the car. There is no electronic system in these cars that would prevent it from starting other than the neutral safety switch. really. Or possibly something ignition related.

Never had that happen to me. I doubt the seat belt light is keeping you from starting the car. It could be a faulty neutral safety switch. Or some aftermarket thing some previous owner put into the car. There is no electronic system in these cars that would prevent it from starting other than the neutral safety switch. really. Or possibly something ignition related.
Thanks for the reply,

I believe it does have something to do with a neutral safety switch. Do you happen to know where that would be? I do not believe it is an aftermarket addition to the car and my car starts like any other. Once I find that switch I will just pull it out in the hopes that my car will start with no problems.

Thanks for the reply,

I believe it does have something to do with a neutral safety switch. Do you happen to know where that would be? I do not believe it is an aftermarket addition to the car and my car starts like any other. Once I find that switch I will just pull it out in the hopes that my car will start with no problems.
Should be under the dash on the steering column

Careful when removing the NSS as you can then start the car in gear. Which is very bad thing by the way.

The NSS is mounted at the base of the steering column just before the firewall. It's a bear to get to. To start your car try putting some upward ( or downward ) pressure on the shift lever and see if the car will start. The switch may simply need some slight adjustment.

Back