1968 stops running

T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi there,

i'm from germany (sorry for my bad grammar) and have a problem with my 1968 Thunderbird, which i own since last year.

When i start the tbird, i turns on and runs a while, then without warning, the engine stops. After this, i put the gear shift on P and try to start again, without success. The engine is not running, turning the key makes nothing, no sound, no cranking, the beltlight is off and the fuel display is not working.

After a couple of minutes, i can start the engine again, it runs fine.... After driving al little bit, it stops again.

What could that be?

Regards

Tannman

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Check to see if the battery is good for the no nothing part. Also sounds like maybe a netural safety switch possibly. As for the car just shutting off. Well thats usually because of a lack of fuel getting to the carburetor.

If it won't start in park try to start it in neutral. If it starts it's a bad neutral safety switch located on the bottom of the steering column . It might be your fuel pump going bad causing the car to stall out. I would replace that first. Good luck

checking the fuel pump is easy. Pull the fuel line off the carburetor and have someone crank the engine a couple times. If fuel comes out the pump is okay. You can still get the neutral safety switch, but its expensive and requires pulling the steering column apart to replace it.

Back