1968 Light switch vacuum problem

Excaliburss

Excaliburss

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,
maybe someone has an answer to the following problem :
When I start the engine, the vacuum builds up and goes thru the light switch for opening of headlamp doors.
This vacuum makes my light switch very hard to operate, means that it is almost impossible to draw out and open the doors. I have to pull it so hard that I am afraid to mess it up. When I slip out the build up vacuum the switch works easy. I changed the complete switch to a new one, but still the same behavior. Feels like too much vacuum to the switch. The car is totally original and nobody has fooled around with it. All vac-lines are correctly in place. I wonder if somebody in our forum has had this problem and could give me some advice.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Old vacuum motors are just old. Sounds like perhaps the motors themselves are going out? Honestly IMO you should just replace your old tired vacuum system with the electric conversion. The old vacuum system actually puts unnecessary stress on your grill since it still applies pressure to it even when they are down or up. Problem with these cars as I have found out is not a lot of people restore them or work on them. This generation is like the black sheep. Sadly as I have found out you will be hard pressed to find many that will help.

I will say that I think there could be another issue. I think there is a vacuum regulator closer to the headlight motors themselves. I think that sometimes gets clogged. I thing its in the engine bay up by the driverside light. Follow the lines. Also it could be a totally unrelated problem to your headlights and a problem somewhere else in the vacuum system. That could be giving you the issue as well. I think thats another reason I myself ripped out the old vacuum motors and replaced with it with the electric conversion. Oh and one last thing. I did see a pair of re-manufactured vacuum headlight motors on ebay. Though they were very expensive at like almost $600 for the pair. At that point you got to ask yourself do you want to mess around with figuring out what or where could be your possible leak or clog or just spend the extra $100 on the conversion.

Hope this helps.

You are totally right that electric is a better solution. I will check again my system over and if I do not find out anything, I will go electric as you do. Was it complicated to mount ?

The electric conversion uses existing holes already in your engine bay where the headlight motors are. Only the passenger side will you need to drill a hole for proper alignment. After that it's attaching the ground wire then hot wire to the battery and a signal wire to your headlight dimmer switch (high beam switch on the floor), and you are good to go. I will say also that you may need to do a little bit of work to make it fit as with mine I am having a slight clearance issue with the headlight door hitting the motor. Not a terrible issue, just as with any modification/conversion you will need to make proper adjustments. The kit comes with everything you need to basically drop it right in.

Still... its a really nice conversion kit with custom brackets and fittings so it drops right in. I already got the motors in my car, but I just need to trim some metal so it clears the motors. Otherwise it actually looks pretty nice and they doors open uniformly. You can also use the existing clips that the vacuum hoses used to mount the wiring loom in to make it nice and neat. I can take pictures of it if you would like.

Wow, that would be great ! If you like, you can send pics to my mail address : fredfranke@*********

Alright will do. I am not working on it at the moment due to the weather bring so cold. Car is back in garage I rent until it clears up a bit.

Thanks, this problem we don.t have here in Spain.....we still have comfortable temperatures here. Just had my Bird out for a spin to the gas station.....10 gallons for about 60 bucks ....not funny

Thanks, this problem we don.t have here in Spain.....we still have comfortable temperatures here. Just had my Bird out for a spin to the gas station.....10 gallons for about 60 bucks ....not funny
Wow... That's a lot for 10 gallons. I spend on average about 30-40 for ten gallons of fuel. I usually only drive it once a week, maybe less. She is still a driving restoration so I need to do a lot of work on her. Though mine is not going to be stock. The engine was already replaced with a 460 some time ago. Though I intend to do a rebuild as I am looking at a target HP of 450ish with around 500lbs of torque. I really want to take it out and get it tested on a dyno, but I am afraid that old engine couldn't take the strain of the test.

:) U remind me of my own....when I was younger. "HP-HP-HP" Now at age 66 I just like to cruise quiet around in my 68. When I drive in it, I feel like a youngster again, but still in moderate speeds, so the girls can see me and the car :)
But still....the 11:1 Hi-comp 429 cid runs really strong and for me its almost to fast. " Gentleman's Muscle car "

:) U remind me of my own....when I was younger. "HP-HP-HP" Now at age 66 I just like to cruise quiet around in my 68. When I drive in it, I feel like a youngster again, but still in moderate speeds, so the girls can see me and the car :)
But still....the 11:1 Hi-comp 429 cid runs really strong and for me its almost to fast. " Gentleman's Muscle car "
Well in all honestly what I want is pretty mild for the motor in the car. Heck even back when it had the 429 they were powerful motors. I am doing this moreso just because I want the engine rebuilt because its a question mark. The trans when I got the car was toast and I had it rebuilt. I just want the motor reliable and have a bit of pep with some rumble. The suspension and power steering on these cars leave much to be desired. Sure they are great cruising down the road, but man oh man do they float.

I think I am a bit spoiled with my car as it has only 14K miles since new. Also I got Koni shocks on it. Drives really like new. Every trip with it is pleasure. I wish you luck with your resto work and a bit warmer weather too.........

Back