1968 390FE engine swap from 1975 F250

DCAutomotive

DCAutomotive

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a '68 T-bird at my shop with the 390FE engine and an automatic transmission. The engine is worn out and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I recently acquired a '75 F250 Highboy also with a 390FE engine with a manual transmission, and supposedly the engine has been rebuilt. The question I have is that if the engine from F250 turns out to be good, will it work in the T-bird? I know the exhaust manifolds are different, but are there any other issues I may run into?

Thanks for your help.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The 4X4 oil pan and oil pump pick up tube will have to be changed over from the Thunderbird, so will the distributor. Flywheel to flex plate swap and you are good. When you change the exhaust manifolds you may want to have them surfaced. I like to install studs in the top bolt holes and use brass nuts.

The 4X4 oil pan and oil pump pick up tube will have to be changed over from the Thunderbird, so will the distributor. Flywheel to flex plate swap and you are good. When you change the exhaust manifolds you may want to have them surfaced. I like to install studs in the top bolt holes and use brass nuts.
Thanks for the reply. I also figured the flywheel/flexplate since we are going from manual to an automatic transmission. Also we are installing new exhaust manifolds since we found cracks in the old ones. Like the stud idea though.

Just curious as to what the difference in the distributors are?

68 should still be points, 75 is electronic.

Back