1967 Ford Thunderbird Landau Coupe Q-Code

Luke98Roberts

Luke98Roberts

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
How's it going everyone! New member, here to post my project and the progress I make on it, as well as hopefully learn some things along the way as I'm not so great with this stuff.
About the Project:
I bought the car from an estate sale. The previous owner passed away and unfortunately didn't tell anyone where the paperwork or keys were for this car, so it was all lost. It had also been sitting since 1985 - not a great starting point. However, the car is rust free (stored inside on a concrete floor as it was sitting) and seems restorable enough. It doesn't run and I've not yet tried to start it.

The big current issue is the lack of keys. I got the glovebox lock out, as I've heard that matches the trunk lock, so I need to send that out to a locksmith. I've also been told the door locks (both of them) and the ignition share the same key cut. I have the door panel on the passenger side off and am currently fighting with the rod to remove the lock cylinder.

Engine wise, this is a Q-Code 428 according to the door tag (which also says axle code S1 which doesn't seem to exist). The engine is currently soaking with some diesel fuel in the cylinders to lubricate it while I do the other work.

Questions:
How long is the driveshaft for this car? I have the 428 and a C6 transmission.
Why can I not put any of the purchased aftermarket ignition locks and cylinders together? Is there some kind of magic trick to it?
Is the engine worth keeping original?

Cool Car Specs:
It has factory cruise control.
It has factory AC.
It has factory 8-track.
It has factory power windows.

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_211442.jpg
    IMG_20190807_211442.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20190807_211525.jpg
    IMG_20190807_211525.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
How's it going everyone! New member, here to post my project and the progress I make on it, as well as hopefully learn some things along the way as I'm not so great with this stuff.
About the Project:
I bought the car from an estate sale. The previous owner passed away and unfortunately didn't tell anyone where the paperwork or keys were for this car, so it was all lost. It had also been sitting since 1985 - not a great starting point. However, the car is rust free (stored inside on a concrete floor as it was sitting) and seems restorable enough. It doesn't run and I've not yet tried to start it.

The big current issue is the lack of keys. I got the glovebox lock out, as I've heard that matches the trunk lock, so I need to send that out to a locksmith. I've also been told the door locks (both of them) and the ignition share the same key cut. I have the door panel on the passenger side off and am currently fighting with the rod to remove the lock cylinder.

Engine wise, this is a Q-Code 428 according to the door tag (which also says axle code S1 which doesn't seem to exist). The engine is currently soaking with some diesel fuel in the cylinders to lubricate it while I do the other work.

Questions:
Why can I not put any of the purchased aftermarket ignition locks and cylinders together? Is there some kind of magic trick to it?

Cool Car Specs:
It has factory AC.
It has factory 8-track.
Luke you have a very nice car there. I also have a 67 2 door. I had the same key problem. I removed the door lock, which matches the ignition, took it to a locksmith and had a key made, worked fine. For me the door panel was already removed so it was easy. For you perhaps just taking the ignition assembly itself might be easier. Locksmiths can work wonders.
Regards,
George

About the Project:

Questions:

Cool Car Specs:
It has factory AC.
It has factory 8-track.
Shouldn't have to remove the door locks to have a key or keys made. A good lock smith will be able to make you keys just by using your installed locks and ignition. Call a couple lock smiths and see if they can do this in the vehicle. I had it done many times before. You can always put another ignition switch in if need be but it's not going to be the same as the doors anymore. Lock smiths will come to you. you don't have to take the locks to them. If you have AAA or some other type of road service plan they usually cover the main portion of a lock smith bill. Just put the road side service plan on the car until you get the keys made to get the cheaper price then take the plan off if you want to. GOOD LUCK Keep me posted

Back