1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1966 trunk lid operation

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Tbirdal, Dec 1, 2018.

1. When I activate the convertible top down switch the deck lid does not open. When I manually open the deck lid, the convertible top goes down and then again up. It appears the console switch and lid limit switches are operating and I can’t believe both up/down deck relays failed. I thought about the neutral safety switch, but then again would the convertible top go down/up if that was the problem? Could it be a circuit beaker ?

2. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven Well-Known Member Gold Donor

If you go to the technical section at the squarebirds web site there is a bunch of information on the operation and troubleshooting of the convertible top. There is even wiring diagrams and pictures of locations of solenoids and circuit breakers to help make it easier.
    Steve

3. Thank you I appreciate your reply

4. Thank you - I appreciate your quick reply

5. I have a 65 and it never had a manual for any functions. Has this been added ? One way to see if neutral safety is culprit is when trying top w/ switch and it fails to move try starting engine without moving shifter. Do you have a C6 trans or the cruiseomatic? Most c6 safety is mounted on trans

6. Thanks for the reply - I have a cruiseomatic Tran. I have successfully got the top to operate. Can't pinpoint exactly what I did to accomplish same.

7. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven Well-Known Member Gold Donor

Isn't the steering wheel supposed to be tilted to the side and car in park for the system to function correctly?

8. Can be in Park or Neutral - wheel does not have to be tilted away.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!