1966 trunk key cylinder replacement instructions

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Because spare tire was in the way, we drilled out the cylinder to open trunk of our newly purchased 66 hardtop. I already purchased replacement key and cylinder, but no instructions and I cannot see how the cylinder is removed from the assembly. Any ideas are appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Because spare tire was in the way, we drilled out the cylinder to open trunk of our newly purchased 66 hardtop. I already purchased replacement key and cylinder, but no instructions and I cannot see how the cylinder is removed from the assembly. Any ideas are appreciated.
A shop manual may offer some help. You might also look at one of the Specialty Thunderbird catalogs with their exploded diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most lock assemblies I've (albeit mostly doors), there is usually a 'U' shaped keeper bent flat with a spring to it and a tab on the end to pull it off and the lock assembly falls.

Back