1966 trunk key cylinder replacement instructions

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Because spare tire was in the way, we drilled out the cylinder to open trunk of our newly purchased 66 hardtop. I already purchased replacement key and cylinder, but no instructions and I cannot see how the cylinder is removed from the assembly. Any ideas are appreciated.

Because spare tire was in the way, we drilled out the cylinder to open trunk of our newly purchased 66 hardtop. I already purchased replacement key and cylinder, but no instructions and I cannot see how the cylinder is removed from the assembly. Any ideas are appreciated.
A shop manual may offer some help. You might also look at one of the Specialty Thunderbird catalogs with their exploded diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most lock assemblies I've (albeit mostly doors), there is usually a 'U' shaped keeper bent flat with a spring to it and a tab on the end to pull it off and the lock assembly falls.

Back