1966 Power for distributor and electric water pump

Steeletbird

Steeletbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
i am in the process of rebuilding my 66 tbird with 390 and just had motor rebuilt and converted to CVR electric water pump, electric fuel pump and electric rad fans ... but cant for the life of me find a place/wire - power source to connect these things ONLY when its running obviously .... where the heck is the source ...anyone one know ????

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

i am in the process of rebuilding my 66 tbird with 390 and just had motor rebuilt and converted to CVR electric water pump, electric fuel pump and electric rad fans ... but cant for the life of me find a place/wire - power source to connect these things ONLY when its running obviously .... where the heck is the source ...anyone one know ????
Perhaps the run side of the ignition switch? You may want to have thermostat in line instead from hot source. Of course there is the hot side of solenoid from the battery terminal. You would want a fuse in line for either method and if using the solenoid side also a switch.

i prefer to have it with key on and of course in the case of the distributor and fuel pump while starting to . obviously cant have power to fuel pump and dist all the time / key off

i prefer to have it with key on and of course in the case of the distributor and fuel pump while starting to . obviously cant have power to fuel pump and dist all the time / key off
Again the "run" side of the ignition switch. Hopefully you have a shop manual that can help you with your quest.

These cars were not built with easy to modify electrical systems.
However this is not hard to do.you will need 2 relays to do this right.
1st relay is for the fuel pump. It will draw the low side power ( which activates the relay) from the coil. If all of your stock wiring is in place there is also a wire that ties in from the solonoid to provide power while cranking. The high power to the relay comes off the battery side of the solonoid. This will also power the low side of relay number 2.
Relay number 2 also gets its high power from the solonoid and it will power the fans and water pump.
So there you have it, all can be done and contained under the hood. Don't forget to put fuses in between the solenoid and relays. Good luck and show us pictures!

These cars were not built with easy to modify electrical systems.
However this is not hard to do.you will need 2 relays to do this right.
1st relay is for the fuel pump. It will draw the low side power ( which activates the relay) from the coil. If all of your stock wiring is in place there is also a wire that ties in from the solonoid to provide power while cranking. The high power to the relay comes off the battery side of the solonoid. This will also power the low side of relay number 2.
Relay number 2 also gets its high power from the solonoid and it will power the fans and water pump.
So there you have it, all can be done and contained under the hood. Don't forget to put fuses in between the solenoid and relays. Good luck and show us pictures!
HEY ...thks for that info. i wanted to go the path of CVR racing 55 gpm electric water pump, electric fuel pump and electric fans on rad, so no rad fan, works great !!! i was kinda leaning towards the relay idea myself, just could wrap my mind around how to do it, aka the question where to find KO only power .... do you know anything about starter solenoids ... for some wierd reason i installed a new solenoid and ( forgot how it was wired up and thought i had it right according to diagrams ) but now it wont crank over ...even tho it had cranked before this incident ... it worked fine the last time i tried to start it ( i just had engine rebuilt and just installed ) but next time nothing any ideas

PS... yes all original wiring although a little mangled / mess still trying to figure out where all wires go .... and new msd dist and high power coil

Check your other thead, just finished a reply.

Back