1966 overflow tank color

old timer

old timer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Should the over flow tank be blue or black. Mine is blue.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I believe they were black. I've never had one painted blue. But as a disclaimer, I am not a paint expert.

If you are speaking of the radiator over flow tank I would assume they were molded black practice as black plastic can tolerate the hot coolant. If it's metal it could me any color and I don't see how paint could stick to plastic well. I had a '66 but can't remember the set up.

I believe he's talking about the expansion tank.

I am talking about expansion tank, my mistake. My TB Convert. is an original and the tank was painted blue. But i have seen them in black.

In the past our family owned a 1965 Thunderbird and a 1966 Thunderbird. Both expansion tanks were Black. Actually I have never seen an original expansion tank in any color but black.

They were blue for part of the year and black for the layer I believe. My car was blue and was manufactured in January of 66.

We used to own a 66 Q-code 428 Tbird many moons ago, and the expansion tank matched the air cleaner (blue).
Not sure if it was original or not as we were not the original owners.

We used to own a 66 Q-code 428 Tbird many moons ago, and the expansion tank matched the air cleaner (blue).
Not sure if it was original or not as we were not the original owners.
Interesting. I had a 66 Q code convert with A/C in the early 70's The air cleaner and valve covers were blue but the expansion tank was black. That was a car I wish I could have kept. It did use just a bit fuel.

Back