1966 oil dipstick tube installation

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. I have a 1966 with a 390 engine. The oil dipstick tube separated from the mounting bracket. I picked up a replacement tube and took a look underneath today. It looks like the bracket goes under a manifold bolt. I hit it with some penetrating oil. What's the likelihood of getting the bolt out without snapping it? I know it sounds crummy but I'm thinking of just zip tying the old tube to the bracket as opposed to risking a big problem.

If it's on a bottom bolt they rarely have issues.

Bottom bolt. I'll try it tomorrow. Thank you.
Thanks again. Getting to the bolt and then bending back tabs that were on a washer was a little difficult. I gather the tabs are there to keep the bolt from backing out so I put them back. Also had to pull the oil and gas filters to get better access. Gas filter was a little tough and as I suspected, the gas filter canister got a little beat up in the process. Put back a sharp looking Ford canister and Ford oil filter. The only other thing to note is that new dipstick tube is a little stubborn going in and you have to work it into place. Changed the oil and greased the joints while I was at it. All and all a good day for the TBird and all set for spring.

Back