1966 heat riser - any experience running without it?

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good afternoon,

I have a '66 convert. with an exhaust leak on the passenger side at the exhaust manifold where it meets the pipe. I'm getting ready to take it apart and hope it's just a gasket problem but I'm thinking it might be the heat riser either leaking and/or stuck which might exacerbate the problem. If it's just stuck I can probably fix it. However if I should have to replace, I'd like to understand alternatives. I see in the various catalogs that they sell a heat riser adapter which allows for the removal of the heat riser. The adapter is something like $40 while the heat riser is $90. Does anyone have any experience running without the heat riser? Any issues? Thanks, Mitch

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My '64 doesn't have a heat riser. It does have a carb spacer that is heated by coolant. I suppose it's possible your car will be a little cold blooded without it and will take take longer to warm up, particularly if you live in a cold climate. Do you have an automatic choke that depends on hot air from the riser? If so, you could replace it with an electric choke.

I also have a '69 Galaxie with a 351 and the heat riser has been disconnected for years.

I have a ‘64 Convertible and I’m running Edelbrock aluminum heads and intake manifold. (And Sanderson tube headers). They don’t even have provisions for a crossover, and I’m not using a heated carb adapter. Now, granted, I’m not going to drive it all winter (Midwest, USA), but I’ve had no problems in 5000 miles!

Back