1966 Hardtop for sale

Gaspo
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Here's my story. When I was a kid, my Dad traded in for a new T-Bird every year at the Ford dealership in Chariton, Iowa. He passed away in August 1965, four months shy of my seventh birthday, so he didn't get his '66. My mom never remarried. Jump ahead to 1993 and I'm in the Navy, stationed at Barbers Point, Hawaii, and there's a '66, the next T-Bird my Dad "would" have gotten, for sale on the "lemon lot" at Hickam AFB. I bought the car and drove it for a few years as my weekend cruiser, but then was transferred to Japan, so I shipped the car to the family farm in Iowa, where it sat in the barn covered with tarps. I was still in the Navy in 2004 when my mom passed away, and my siblings weren't willing to take over the farm, so we sold the property. I had to move the T-Bird, so put it in the long-term outdoor storage at Offutt AFB in Omaha, NE, where she sat outside for the next several years, with the elements not being kind to her paint and vinyl top. A few more years after retiring from the Navy and moving to Omaha, I started restoration work on her, but other life events, unexpected expenses, and random commitments kept derailing any hope of ever getting her done, and now, 29 years after buying what would have been Dad's next T-Bird, I just don't have the time or money to put into getting her back to 1993 or earlier and she's just taking up space in my garage, so I've finally decided to give up the project and put her up for sale. She lives in Omaha, Nebraska.

She's got a 428cc, power windows, factory air and in-dash 8-Track tape player. Her body is completely clean with no rust, and she's primed out in flat gray. Bumpers have been re-chromed. All trim work is off (she's ready to paint). She has both rear fender skirts, but one needs to have the latch slot rebuilt/rewelded. I had the motor torn down and rebuilt, it's mounted back under the hood but not hooked up. I had the radiator scoped years ago, no issues found there. The fuel tank still needs to be dropped and flushed. The interior needs to be deep-cleaned from so many years sitting, and she could use new carpet and trunk liner (I would say new Upholstery too, but I guess that would depend on how much sweat equity a person was willing to put into cleaning). The grill and taillight assembly are weathered, and all the trim pieces need to be polished up.

Basically, she just needs to be cleaned up, hooked up, painted out, and put back together (trim) to be a solid car-club member or comfortable weekend cruiser.

I'm asking $4900 for her, but will give consideration to any reasonable offer.

Here's how she looked as a beach babe in Hawaii in 1993

Current pics as she sits in my garage
T-Bird driver side.jpgT-Bird interior.jpgT-Bird motor.jpgT-Bird odometer.jpgT-Bird rear.jpgT-Bird under hood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back