1966 fender skirts

W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I purchased '66 convertible a while back and it appears to have come from the factory without skirts, but someone added them along the way. My car still has both the SS trim on the fender and on the skirt. I don't like the look with the trim on both and want to remove the SS trim on the fender. When I removed the skirt I found only one pin, on the front of the skirt. I was under the impression there should also be three pins on the fender. There are three slots , one on the back and two on the top of the skirt, but I see no pins in the fender. Is this correct? Should something stick down from the fender into the slots on the skirts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You can get the pins from most Thunderbird supply houses. I know that MACs Auto In Lockport NY carries them. It will require drilling additional holes in the wheel well lips to line up with the holes in the skirts. I agree they will look much better without the SS wheel well trim.

I purchased '66 convertible a while back and it appears to have come from the factory without skirts, but someone added them along the way. My car still has both the SS trim on the fender and on the skirt. I don't like the look with the trim on both and want to remove the SS trim on the fender. When I removed the skirt I found only one pin, on the front of the skirt. I was under the impression there should also be three pins on the fender. There are three slots , one on the back and two on the top of the skirt, but I see no pins in the fender. Is this correct? Should something stick down from the fender into the ya slots on the skirts?
The other guys are correct, you need to add additional pins, but, I wouldn’t drive around with the skirts being held by only one pin: the skirts could fall off and get damaged, and/or cause damage to something/somebody else.

What type of adhesive would be used to hold the rubber gasket to the fender skirt. I am in the process of installing the new rubber gaskets to the fender skirts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

What type of adhesive would be used to hold the rubber gasket to the fender skirt. I am in the process of installing the new rubber gaskets to the fender skirts. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Instead of staples as original, I just used a hot glue gun to attach mine. Make sure the skirt is really clean and move slowly.

I would use a clear industrial adhesive for a more lasting adhesion.

I purchased '66 convertible a while back and it appears to have come from the factory without skirts, but someone added them along the way. My car still has both the SS trim on the fender and on the skirt. I don't like the look with the trim on both and want to remove the SS trim on the fender. When I removed the skirt I found only one pin, on the front of the skirt. I was under the impression there should also be three pins on the fender. There are three slots , one on the back and two on the top of the skirt, but I see no pins in the fender. Is this correct? Should something stick down from the fender into the slots on the skirts?
I have a 64 and I believe there are 4studs but yes a stud for each slot.

Thank you to all who commented on my question. I had to replace the rubber gaskets on my 1964 Thunderbird that were most likely the originals when the skirts were off for new tires. The fender skirt seals were ordered from Eckler's . No staples in stock. The four pins were in place on both sides of the car. Next I fitted the skirt seals and let them sit on a work table for a week for the purpose on training the seals to get any bends and kinks from shipping smoothed out of them. I really think this made the final process easier. I put a thin line of DAP Ultra Clear on a week later when doing the final fit of the skirt seals. This process worked very well and the final fitment looks good with the fender skirts reinstalled on the car today. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Back