1966 drive gear options

M
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I bought this car about a month ago and I'm still learning basics about it. The gear indicator has two settings for Drive - marked by a small dot and a large dot. What's the difference? Driving around town I find the small dot setting is the smoothest shifting option.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The green dot will allow it to shift 1-2-3, the white dot skips first and starts in second then shifts to third. The idea is that the white dot is for starting out when it's slippery. So, given that you're probably not driving on ice or mud you probably want it on the green dot.

Thanks, but both my dots are white - they two different sizes. I assume the large one starts out in first. Correct? And yes, sunny CA, no ice or mud.

Pretty sure the small dot (left) is 2-3 and the large dot (right) is 1-2-3.

Thanks again - yep, the shifting feels like that - the small (left) dot starts in 2nd

At that time all cars with 3 spd Trans had two ranges Small dot on the fords were for city driving which not many used. The large dot was for highway driving it started in low and shifted through all 3. Some cars were marked D2- drive.

So THAT'S what the two dots mean. I usually do GM's so this had me baffled. Couldn't resist a barn (actually a garage) find. Been sitting for 25 years, almost all original including the spare. Got it basically from the original owner, she had died and left it to her nurse. Still trying to figure why there is no glove compartment or what the vacuum line lying loose from the console does or why the play in the gas pedal is only about an inch and a half

Back