1966 code z tri-power installation

F

Freds 66 T- bird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
66 code z contemplating installation of tripower. Any complications if I do not change heads, cam etc.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do it! No change of heads required. Cam change is not really necessary either, depends on how you plan on driving.

66 code z contemplating installation of tripower. Any complications if I do not change heads, cam etc.
Which tri-power manifold will you be using?

The "M" code Ford manifold is different from the passenger car manifold. The M code is tapered for hood clearance. I do not believe the standard manifold will quite fit. Although I am very willing to be corrected.
Otherwise no other modifications should be needed. The cast iron manifold versus the aluminum will save some front end weight. the only irritation is that the pushrods go through the manifold and and the valves need to be reset after the change.
Good luck, J.

The triple carb FE intake used on Galaxies will not work properly on a T-Bird because the Bird used unit body construction which put the engine and drive train parallel to the ground. That meant that T-Bird intakes were level/flat and kept the carbs on the same plane. Galaxies were built on full frames which meant that the power train was canted downward from front to rear and therefore the manifold is built to allow the carbs to be stepped up from front to rear to keep the floats level.

I have the Galaxy tri carb manifold on my 1961 Thunderbird and since it has progressive linkage, there has been no problems. The carb downward cant has been corrected by using carb spacers. No clearance issues with the Galaxy Air Cleaner.

Any one with issues tri power and low vacuum to booster ? Not done with install yet.

I had the tri-power setup on my 66 428 many years ago. While these may be valid concerns, mine seemed to work perfectly. I loved it. When I sold the car to Bob of Bob's T-Birds in Fort Lauderdale in 1990, he removed the tri-power and sold it without the car.

I have a 66 Q car with aluminum manifold Try power and progressive linkage and it works perfect

I have a Galaxie Tri Carb set-up on my 1961 Convertible and all items clear, however you need to account for the "slant" when adjusting the Floats. I also found heavy fuel loading before I added a cam, Heads and Headers.

Back