1966 buffing out age spots in interior stainless

Thunder_woman

Thunder_woman

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased my 66’ and the interior stainless steel is covered in little age pits, I’ve read a few different ways to buff it out but I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips or tricks up your sleeves?

I just purchased my 66’ and the interior stainless steel is covered in little age pits, I’ve read a few different ways to buff it out but I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips or tricks up your sleeves?
Word of advice, if your not experienced with a buffing wheel you can really screw up that skinny stainless (I know)! I tried on the stainless on my '55 hardtop (7 pieces) and bent one piece when it caught on the wheel, so it cost me $330 to have a pro straighten and buff all the stainless! Good luck!

p.s. is that a 390, 427 or 428?

Word of advice, if your not experienced with a buffing wheel you can really screw up that skinny stainless (I know)! I tried on the stainless on my '55 hardtop (7 pieces) and bent one piece when it caught on the wheel, so it cost me $330 to have a pro straighten and buff all the stainless! Good luck!

p.s. is that a 390, 427 or 428?
It’s a 390! Shouldn’t have left that out, and I’m experienced with a buffing wheel, I should have elaborated lol. I was wondering if there is a compound to use the im not familiar with.

Any decent polish should work Griot's Garage has a good selection also. I've found aluminum foil with any of the polishes works wonders plus no spinning wheels to catch on edges. Lots of elbow grease and almost zero chance of doing something drastic you can't fix.

Any decent polish should work Griot's Garage has a good selection also. I've found aluminum foil with any of the polishes works wonders plus no spinning wheels to catch on edges. Lots of elbow grease and almost zero chance of doing something drastic you can't fix.
I once tried tinfoil and it scratched the finish. Maybe my Technique wasn’t right?

If the pitting is from corrosion it may not be removable; for long, slender trim pieces use some blue 3M painter's tape to tape half to a wooden board a few inches wider and longer than the entire piece and run the untaped end against the buffing wheel, when done tape the newly polished side down, reverse the wooden board and with the tape on that half removed polish the remaider of the piece. Safe and hard to damage the more fragile parts.

stainless steel does not pit. chrome plated steel or pot metal pits. it can be cleaned up with very fine steel wool or sos pads and chrome polish and made to look pretty decent otherwise it can be replated to look like new

stainless steel does not pit. chrome plated steel or pot metal pits. it can be cleaned up with very fine steel wool or sos pads and chrome polish and made to look pretty decent otherwise it can be replated to look like new
The aluminum foil is great for surface rust. If there are pits and you need pristine the sending to a professional even though expensive may well be worth the cost depending how critical your eyes are.

Back