1965 Window Motor is Unresponsive

newenglandtbird

newenglandtbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Had a question for the group as searching through forum topics and Google isn't coming up with an answer.

On my '65, the driver's side window motor was dead when I bought the car. In October, I purchased a replacement from Mac's Auto and it worked fine up until last weekend. When I started the car up, the window wouldn't move (no sound or anything). I've checked the switch is good, and there's 12v's all the way to the connector to the motor in both the up and down positions, but the motor is unresponsive. Any ideas as to what could've happened to this new motor? I never had any weird electrical spikes or shorts that I'm aware of, and it's weird that the motor's out again as the last one didn't seem to be the original motor, leading me to believe this problem may have been ongoing with the previous owner.

Thanks for your feedback! Hope everyone is doing well.

Had a question for the group as searching through forum topics and Google isn't coming up with an answer.

On my '65, the driver's side window motor was dead when I bought the car. In October, I purchased a replacement from Mac's Auto and it worked fine up until last weekend. When I started the car up, the window wouldn't move (no sound or anything). I've checked the switch is good, and there's 12v's all the way to the connector to the motor in both the up and down positions, but the motor is unresponsive. Any ideas as to what could've happened to this new motor? I never had any weird electrical spikes or shorts that I'm aware of, and it's weird that the motor's out again as the last one didn't seem to be the original motor, leading me to believe this problem may have been ongoing with the previous owner.

On rare occasions over the 53 years that I have had my 1964 I have found that the brushes in the motor have become very dirty and my first go to is using a hammer lightly tapping the motor to see if that loosens up the buildup of dust. Failing that I have (but not for a long time) taken the motors apart and replaced the brushes providing that the armatures are in reasonable shape. You might also check the wiring between the switch and the motor for breaks in the wiring as the wires can dry out and break between the body and the door where they flex the most.

Good luck!

Gord

Thanks @Angry Bird for the suggestions.

I have tried tapping on the motor with no luck, and I would be surprised if the new motor got that dirty in the seven months it was installed, as for five of those months it was under a car cover in a relatively clean garage. But I'm going to have to take it out anyways, so I might as well see what the brushes look like. Just so aggravating that a "new" motor would do this.

Also, I've checked a couple times and verified that I've got power all the way to the motor, so I know the wiring in the door isn't the exclusive problem.

Thanks @Angry Bird for the suggestions.

I have tried tapping on the motor with no luck, and I would be surprised if the new motor got that dirty in the seven months it was installed, as for five of those months it was under a car cover in a relatively clean garage. But I'm going to have to take it out anyways, so I might as well see what the brushes look like. Just so aggravating that a "new" motor would do this.

Also, I've checked a couple times and verified that I've got power all the way to the motor, so I know the wiring in the door isn't the exclusive problem.
Well they don't make things like they used to!
Have you contacted the supplier?
Good luck!

Well they don't make things like they used to!
Have you contacted the supplier?
Good luck!
No, I haven't asked Mac's about it yet @Angry Bird. Will try that route as well, just know what most electrical parts suppliers say when you have an issue that's as mysterious as this, but it's worth a shot. Thanks.

i had a problem with my 65 going just past the end of the ratchet. i had stops that were missing the rubber. if i held the switch to open or close the window and slamming the door shut at the same time the window would go up or down as desired. worth a shot.

I have a 65 also and have had the same issue. I took 57tbird57 advice and slammed the door shut a couple of times and while holding the switch in down
position and Windows are now working find knock on wood

No, I haven't asked Mac's about it yet @Angry Bird. Will try that route as well, just know what most electrical parts suppliers say when you have an issue that's as mysterious as this, but it's worth a shot. Thanks.
I have had a lot of experience with Mac's and it has always been positive. They have a good reputation that they have to maintain and know that T-bird guys talk to each other as we do, so worth a try!

Gord

start the car with drivers side door open, rev up engine, then slam door shut hard, worked for me, the bird are sometimes tricky! Good Luck!

Wife's 1965 Thunderbird.
When one has to tap on the window motor to make it work, and I have had to do that twice, is it time to take the motor apart and clean it up? Is it likely to self-heal with use?

Is it difficult to take the electric motor apart? I have fear of springs and shims flying all over the place, never to be recovered.

-- Jody -- Thanks. (should I have started a new thread?)

Hi
Have you removed the motor and checked to see if it works out of the car? It could be that the end float in the motor needs adjusting as I understand that could be a factor. You may not be alone, see below . . .

I also have a problem with my driver's door motor in that if I motor the window fully up in one movement it will jam in the up position and will not come down even though current is getting to it. It is a replacement motor, and the action is far faster than the other three. The only way to free it is to start removing the motor from the lift mechanism. At some point during that operation it frees itself. I avoid the problem by stopping the window at the last two inches and inching it up gently to the fully up position. Not totally satisfactory, but I've tried adjusting the end float without success and have no more ideas. I need to get a replacement motor eventually.

Cheers

Sounds like the worm gear tensioner might be too tight

Back