1965 Whitewall width

Joe32
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This is not a new question but I couldn't search my way to an answer. What is the correct whitewall width on a 1965? Where would I buy them?

A few years ago, trying to save money, I bought a set of the Milestar white walls, which were awful. The first problem was the "brown wall" problem. This is not coming from the surface of the tire, but it's the result of rubber oils leaching into the white wall from behind, making it almost impossible to clean. It does not get better over time, as I've had mine 3 years. After a lot of experimenting and scrubbing, it seems oven cleaner did the best job -- but still only got them to an dull off-white color. Still you have to consider if it takes oven cleaner to get these oils off, what is it doing to the rest of the rubber?

A second problem was handling. After 2 years of attempted alignment and steering repairs, I discovered these tires just could not handle the weight and demands of my 1965 Thunderbird. It was all over the road.

Once again, I need to learn you get what you pay for.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your title "1965 Whitewalss" has been updated to "1965 Whitewall width". Good titles get more responses!
model-year.jpg

To address your handling issues, do the following: inflate your tires to 40 lbs (assuming you have radial tires), install gas shocks, order anti-sway bars (both front & rear) from Thunderbird Southwest in La Grange TX - ((979) 249-4200, talk to Lance, he has 38 years experience with Thunderbirds. The front anti-sway bar is bigger and a straight bolt on, the rear is welded to the frame. Did all this to my 1966 T-Bird convertible. A 1,000% improvement in handling.

To address your handling issues, do the following: inflate your tires to 40 lbs (assuming you have radial tires), install gas shocks, order anti-sway bars (both front & rear) from Thunderbird Southwest in La Grange TX - ((979) 249-4200, talk to Lance, he has 38 years experience with Thunderbirds. The front anti-sway bar is bigger and a straight bolt on, the rear is welded to the frame. Did all this to my 1966 T-Bird convertible. A 1,000% improvement in handling.
Thanks --VERY HELPFUL. I've rebuilt the front end, to include adding the beefed up sway bar, but have not done gas shocks or the rear anti-sway bar. These cars handled well back in the day -- not like a modern high-end car but pretty good. (My Dad had a '66.) Any idea why all these steps need to be taken now?

On the question of WWs, I believe they used narrow ones. I’ve been dissatisfied with most of the ones out there today except for Vogue. I’ve been going with blackwalls lately as it opens up a huge selection of choices. Don’t forget, not everyone had WWs in the 60s.

This is not a new question but I couldn't search my way to an answer. What is the correct whitewall width on a 1965? Where would I buy them?

A few years ago, trying to save money, I bought a set of the Milestar white walls, which were awful. The first problem was the "brown wall" problem. This is not coming from the surface of the tire, but it's the result of rubber oils leaching into the white wall from behind, making it almost impossible to clean. It does not get better over time, as I've had mine 3 years. After a lot of experimenting and scrubbing, it seems oven cleaner did the best job -- but still only got them to an dull off-white color. Still you have to consider if it takes oven cleaner to get these oils off, what is it doing to the rest of the rubber?

A second problem was handling. After 2 years of attempted alignment and steering repairs, I discovered these tires just could not handle the weight and demands of my 1965 Thunderbird. It was all over the road.

Once again, I need to learn you get what you pay for.
I had the same problem with my tires. I just bought Porta-Walls, add on wide whites and that solved issue. They look great.

Back