1965 Vinyl Top - seal advice

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My wife believes the vinyl top was install incorrectly in that it has no pad under the top.
The top was glued directly to the metal.

In the rain gutter, we see threads coming off the edge of the top.

Would putting a bead of black silicon in the rain gutter be advisable?

Thanks, Mrs. Jody will be forever in your debt.

Regards,
Jody

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

In your rain gutters were the attaching strips removed and put on top or was the top put over them. I’m guessing from your description that it was installed over them. Regardless I’ve installed a few of these tops and ran a bead of sealant in the trough as on the ones I’ve removed they all had a sealant/caulk in that trough to start. Since your seeing the threads coming off how was it finished? Post up a pic or two if you can. I’ll be traveling over the next couple days so won’t be able to respond quick but either someone else who’s done one will or I will when I get a chance

>> I’m guessing from your description that it was installed over them.

Yes, top material run into the rain gutter, on top of the rain gutter.. I can see the edge of the top material in the rain gutter. Kathy said we can post a picture, once I figure out how to post a picture.

Thanks,
Jody

I have attached a photo.
The rain gutter is part of the car's body, and the top material is setting down in the channel.
Question is: Should Kathy coat the channel with black silicon gasket maker?

20190817_115112.jpg

Yes your definitely going to want to seal that to keep water out. It appears that your top is the wrong grain so it’s most certainly been replaced. I’m trying to remember what I used on the ones I did as I wouldn’t want to use anything that might shrink and crack

I'd use something like windscreen rubber adhesive, it will stick as well as seal. In the UK we have a product called CT1 which is great, also Sikaflex which often used on motorhomes for sealing and adhesive for solar panels.

Sorry for the late reply. I have a 65 with the original vinyl roof. The gutter is sealed with a matching color silicone.

Back