1965 tbird compressor replacement options

seeker2736

seeker2736

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a couple of questions about the compressor. How do I determine what make of compressor is on car (photo attached).
Next questions does it matter what make of compressor I use to replace the current one and are the clutches interchangeable20200613_123955[1].jpg20200613_123858.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

york compressor you can purchase from about any parts store. clutch is sold seperately. you can swap over to a sanden style, but you would need different brackets

So I have a York compressor and not a Tecumseh? Can I use the clutch from the old compressor?

The original AC compressor on a 65 was a tecumseh. The tecunseh is cast iron while the york is aluminum. II believe the clutch is interchangeable.

Does a magnet stick to it? looks like a Tecumseh to me.

So can you use any later type compressor with the old components? Obviously using the new gas type but I'm presuming mine has dried out being off the road many years so thought replacing it with something off another vehicle.

Back