1965 Q code with c4?

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Looking at a 65 Q code with a rebuilt c4, is that a good idea? I understood Q Code 428 engines were all c6? As always your thoughts are appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you positive it's a C4?? If it is a C4 who ever put it in needed an adaptor because it won't bolt directly to an FE block. If the C4 was built right it could hold the HP and torque. I just don't know why a person would go to the trouble.

Looking at a 65 Q code with a rebuilt c4, is that a good idea? I understood Q Code 428 engines were all c6? As always your thoughts are appreciated.
1965 tbirds never had q code, they only had the 390 z code in their VIN and came with the cruise-o-matic transmissions. 66 was first year for optional q code engines with c6 transmissions. 390 z code early models cme equipped with the cruise-o-matis but were replaced with c6 later in the model year.

you are correct, the car is a 66.It surly does not make sense. Thinking that maybe with the motor being rebuilt that's its not really a 428 q code (having the c4 transmission)? is the engine code engrave, molded into the engine block or simply bolt on tag? If just tag is there any other noticeable giveaways to verify it is a true 428?

Last edited:
If the valve covers the head and intake then it's a FE block also on the front of the block, driver's side about 5" down from head the number 352 will be cast in the block. If you could attach a picture of the engine maybe I could better identify.

do not understand, you stated "If the valve covers the head and intake then it's a FE block". If what"? if the valve covers and head intake ... what? are a FE block?
I understand the 5"down on block.

Last edited:
In those years a Ford big block was called an FE block not sure what the fe means. The valve cover lower bolts attach to the head, the upper valve cover bolts attach to the intake.

FE = Ford Engine.

OP - can you send more information / specifics / pictures of this car?

Do you have a link to the for sale ad?

All FE engines look the same on the outside (from a 332 to a 428) so it's not difficult to pass off, say, a 390 as a 428.
Nobody in there right mind would adapt a C4 to an FE engine when the C6s are still readily available.
Why the confusion on the year of the car? Is it a 65 or a 66? Is the seller being upfront with you on every aspect of this car?
The VIN and/or the data plate information will go a long way towards clearing things up.

Do yourself a favor and make sure you get the whole story before proceeding with the purchase. Only saying this because, based on your descriptions so far, something smells fishy.

Good luck.

Other sources would beg to differ:

Interesting but I'm not that much of a gear-head. But I'm sure there are some here that would glom onto that information. Thanks for the research.

No response from the seller at this time, it’s been about four days. So I think that pretty much tells the story of no response on the C4 rebuilt transmission on the q code car. There’s not that many out there for sale (q code) it is a yellow 66 Thunderbird I believe for sale out of California. I think it’s in classiccars.com

Back