1965 Parking Brake Not Releasing

Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1965 all original...My parking brake only releases when I pull the lever next to foot pedal. Brake does not release as it should when I put car in gear. Any one experience this

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The release mechanism works on vacuum. There is a vacuum diaphragm at the peddle that could be leaking or the valve at the bottom of the steering column may not be working or maybe you just don't have any vacuum to the system.

I have a 1965 all original...My parking brake only releases when I pull the lever next to foot pedal. Brake does not release as it should when I put car in gear. Any one experience this
[/there is a junction block on lower part of steering column under the dash that should have two vacuum lines attached. one comes from the right side of dash and the other attaches to a vacuum actuator above the ebrake pedal. hard to see and harder to get at. you can reach up there and feel where the hose connects. if hose is not there, you will need a pair of looong needle nose pliers to attach hose. hope this helps and good luck

Back