1965 Left Outside Mirror Fastening

Joe32
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I replaced the driver's side outside mirror on my '65 but I cannot get the mirror to fasten down onto the mounting plate. It appears the stem inside the bottom of the mirror will not insert into its anchoring hole because it is being blocked by the head of the bolt that fastens the mounting plate to the door. The bolt came with the kit. I have tried various bolt heads but nothing seems to work. Is there an original fastener that recesses into the plate somehow? Thanks for your help!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do you have a picture?

Thanks, Schos, for sending the video. It's helpful but my problem is more on the base that attaches to the door itself. I can't get that stud that he fabricated to get past the head of the mounting bolt so it can go into the cavity that holds it. There must be one that would work, but the one in the repro kit didn't work and I cannot find it one with a small enough recessed head that does. The video shows a slightly different mounting plate so I'm wondering if that car is a '66 where they corrected for a bad design.

Thanks, Schos, for sending the video. It's helpful but my problem is more on the base that attaches to the door itself. I can't get that stud that he fabricated to get past the head of the mounting bolt so it can go into the cavity that holds it. There must be one that would work, but the one in the repro kit didn't work and I cannot find it one with a small enough recessed head that does. The video shows a slightly different mounting plate so I'm wondering if that car is a '66 where they corrected for a bad design.
Okay, I think I've figured this out. There are two versions of the mounting plate. The OEM plate does not have a countersunk hole for the mounting bolt. This apparently worked okay with the OEM mirrors. My replacement mirror came with a mounting plate that had a countersunk hole so that the stud could clear the bolt head. I tried to use the new mirror with the old plate (because I needed one for the right side).

Back