1965 leaf springs

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Going to begin work on my leaf springs soon as they are so low they almost drag. I believe someone had huge wheels on the back at some point but not something I like. I noticed there are 2 different mounting ways, guessing this is not normal. I’ll put some pictures in for everyone to see. What do y’all see? What will I need?
6DC36FF7-1D1F-4A65-B444-970B172B52F9.jpegA1141A95-BA47-4158-A659-A3DDB188DC0C.jpeg816AD4E9-5953-4323-88F8-C13A48FFCF77.jpeg30B8785C-C6B0-407E-B8F6-36197060606F.jpeg

I inserted your images as full-sized images using this method:

Those are definitely after market shackles, however I would be more concerned with the integrity of the frame. Looks like a lot of damage. I would have someone with experience look at the frame before you go any further.

Just remove the 2 non standard bars which are connecting the spring at the bottom of the bars and connect the spring back up to where the top of the bars are. Do so on both sides of the car.
If I were you I would also get the rust problem sorted out where the spring hangers attach to the car other wise you might find the rear end of the spring sitting in the trunk.

You are missing the stock shackles. Shouldn't be too hard to source. Check your local area for a spring shop. You may need your springs re arched. I would also remove the helper springs.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been in contact with a body shop that does frame work and they are going to take a look at it. I guess you could call them the U-Shaped hangers, not sure what they’re called, are they stock? Will I just need to get stock shackles?

Thank you again!

I think all you need is a pair of stock shackles.

I finally got my car able to be looked at the other week and again today. Not what I was wanting to here but the rust is not good. I was quoted about $6000 or more and would need a parts car for help. Not sure if that is worth it or not. Wish I could drop the leaf springs back where they need to be without doing anything but that’s not safe. Would also be nice if possible to cut the bad rust area out and weld in a new fabricated area to replaced. Where do I go next and what should I do?
Thank you1DC6D3CE-C745-4C53-B2A3-DCDD93112D32.jpeg

You probably need a parts car. If you have any welding skills that's not a hard fix.

What is the overall condition of the car. Is it a Htp or a conv. Is the rest of the rust free? As straight as those springs look in the pictures I'd put new ones in. Realistically examine the whole car. Then get a few estimates for all the work. It may not make sense to spend the money. If you have to pay to get all the work you may be looking at a big bill.

What is the overall condition of the car. Is it a Htp or a conv. Is the rest of the rust free? As straight as those springs look in the pictures I'd put new ones in. Realistically examine the whole car. Then get a few estimates for all the work. It may not make sense to spend the money. If you have to pay to get all the work you may be looking at a big bill.
It is a vinyl top landau. Mechanically the car is very well. Cosmetically the car is rough. Mainly the under side is the worst. Realistically looking at the car it needs floor pans front and back, rocker panels, and of course this area of the spring mounting to be fixed. It is very rusty but for the price I paid originally I cant complain much. I don’t have any experience welding so unless I learned as I went along I would have to pay for the work to be done. Mainly I want to get this mounting area taken care of so I can drive the car safely without the worry of a spring in my trunk.

If you have a vocational school in your area give the auto shop teacher a call. Many times they will take on a car that needs this kind of work and you pay very little. Or you take it to class and learn how to weld.

Sometimes the good price is not that good in the end. If you got a price of 6000 for metal work, interior could be 4-5000, chrome can be another 5000. What is the mileage on the car? You have engine transmission. Then brakes and brake lines. I'm not trying to scare you just trying to help make a good decision. I have been doing frame-off restorations for 40 years so I have an idea about fixing cars.
I recently restored a 53 Mercury woodie wagon and the chrome cost me 9960.00

Any update on your project? I'm in the midst of a similar trunk and rear subframe repair project.

20230311_144457.jpg

Back