1965 issues: water pump, fuel pump

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Well, my “new to me” 65 is dying to start and idle on its own. I had to replace my fuel pump and once I got that done the fuel line from the tank started to leak extremely. That should be just a new line right? With that I know gas is getting to the pump but it is not going through to the carb? It just stops at the pump why would that be? Then I believe the water pump started to run like a water fall. An eventful evening but none less all things that needed to be done. Any pointers or ideas on the fuel pump not sending fuel to the carb? All tips help I’m 17 and learning my way along this all! Thank you all!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Depending on where the line is leaking at the pump can be sucking enough air to not effectively push fuel.
Make sure to replace the bypass hose from the water pump to manifold.

At only 17yo you are about the same place I started but it was a Ford Model 'A' a very simple machine. I live by the philosophy at the ripe age of 68 that the day is not wasted if you learn something new. Mistakes will be made but they are a learning experience not a failure. Henry ford went bankrupt a few times and Thomas Edison had more failures than successes but is only known for his successes.
It sounds like you have a good mechanical aptitude and can find sources of information.
A good dose of curiosity and figuring why and how they designed the different components is why these forums exist. There are thousands of people in this hobby that are in the same boat. But when you have a success you can say 'I did that' in a good way.

Someone bypassed my fuel pump and installed an electric pump mounted on the frame rail back by the fuel tank. That's worked fine for me for numerous years

Well, my “new to me” 65 is dying to start and idle
Please use a four digit model year as you are prompted on future posts. This aids with site searches and google searches. Subject updated to 1965.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Find the leak in your fuel line first. As mentioned, that can keep the pump from being able to, well, pump. If the damage is local to one area, you can temporarily fix it with some fuel hose and hose clamps. Just cut out the bad section.

I got the water pump off. Decided to replace water pump, my belts, and hoses. The bolts to the water pump were 4 diffeeent sizes and some had 3 washers on them. That’s not factory. Does anyone know the right size for the 4 bolts to put the water pump back on?

I got the water pump off. Decided to replace water pump, my belts, and hoses. The bolts to the water pump were 4 diffeeent sizes and some had 3 washers on them. That’s not factory. Does anyone know the right size for the 4 bolts to put the water pump back on?
Do you know the history of the car? A hand me down or a personal purchase? Wise to go ahead and just replace the pump. Those seals and bearings can go unexpectantly. Mine did after a winter rest.
I'm sure there are a couple of engineer types on here who may have the specs. . Just getting started I'm sure you don't have a catch-all or an organized set of bins of misc. bolts, nuts and washers but plan on having an organized place to put spare fasteners. You won't regret it.
Most of us old gear heads have bits all over but still know what and where they are but still scratch our heads thinking ' I know I have that but not sure where it is'. Motor Trend channel has so many shows on things like that.

Do you know the history of the car? A hand me down or a personal purchase? Wise to go ahead and just replace the pump. Those seals and bearings can go unexpectantly. Mine did after a winter rest.
I'm sure there are a couple of engineer types on here who may have the specs. . Just getting started I'm sure you don't have a catch-all or an organized set of bins of misc. bolts, nuts and washers but plan on having an organized place to put spare fasteners. You won't regret it.
Most of us old gear heads have bits all over but still know what and where they are but still scratch our heads thinking ' I know I have that but not sure where it is'. Motor Trend channel has so many shows on things like that.
I don’t know much besides it was sitting in a warehouse for 10 or so years and at some point the 390 in it was rebuilt. Like you said I don’t have bolts and such for spare, but I do think I have found the hardware set online. Says on the site it’ll fit the big block 390.

Thank Yall for all the quick responses all the help is greatly appreciated.

I need some advice. I put my water pump on today and on the bottom left bolt where everyone recommends putting RTV on the bolt, I forgot to put RTV and I put lock tight instead. Will that effect anything?

It means next time you have to remove it you will have to heat it up with a torch. All is good.

Back