1965 Hood Latch Adjustment

BlueFlare
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good morning, I am having a recurring problem with my 1965 convertible. The primary hood latch pops every now and then while driving. Fortunately the secondary latch has caught it every time but this is a ticking time bomb. I have searched for "how to's" on adjusting the male end mounted to the hood as well as the female receiving end mounted to the radiator core support with no luck. The hood is situated "square" in terms of height and side to side adjustments i.e. the gaps are even along the fenders as well as height back by the hinges AND across the front, fenders and bumper. So "visually" everything seems in order from the hinges forward to the high/low male adjustment up front. This is going to sound really phallic but this leads me to the female, receiving end that bites on the male end to hold the hood in place. Is there an adjustment or maybe a stronger spring or...the car is 56 years old so maybe a new spring that goes in there?

I am very interested in your responses. I am sure the moderator would prefer concise auto oriented responses ; )

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It sounds like male end may be adjusted a little too tight. Try turning the two posts out about a half turn. Many times they get adjusted too tight to stop hood vibrations.

The whitewalls on the Flairbirds (64 to 66) did very from a half inch to a quarter inch from the factory. My 64 came with half inch whitewalls from the factory and were Firestone's.

The wandering problem tells me that they are bias ply tires, if so scrap them and go radial ply. Your tire dealer should be able to source suitable white walls. My experience in going to radial ply tires solved a whole range of steering and cornering problems. Going up a size is helpful too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, I am having a recurring problem with my 1965 convertible. The primary hood latch pops every now and then while driving. Fortunately the secondary latch has caught it every time but this is a ticking time bomb. I have searched for "how to's" on adjusting the male end mounted to the hood as well as the female receiving end mounted to the radiator core support with no luck. The hood is situated "square" in terms of height and side to side adjustments i.e. the gaps are even along the fenders as well as height back by the hinges AND across the front, fenders and bumper. So "visually" everything seems in order from the hinges forward to the high/low male adjustment up front. This is going to sound really phallic but this leads me to the female, receiving end that bites on the male end to hold the hood in place. Is there an adjustment or maybe a stronger spring or...the car is 56 years old so maybe a new spring that goes in there?

I am very interested in your responses. I am sure the moderator would prefer concise auto oriented responses ; )
Have you tried spraying down the latch with penetrating oil? It may just need to be freed up so it latches all the way.

Back