1965 Heater/Defrost won't heat

Hallzee

Hallzee

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a new to me 1965 Bird. Heater won't heat. I don't think it's a vacuum problem, because the air will come out of the appropriate location (DEF, Floor, etc.) if that control is changed.

The Temperature setting lever is very loose (as far as left to right movement), as if it's not connected to anything at all. I removed the side of the console, to check out the controller.

The cylinder (red arrow) will move in and out when temp slide is moved, but does not manipulate the flat metal piece it goes through, as I believe it should (yellow arrow). The engine was off when looking at this.

For those familiar with the parts, is there a clip or something missing? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I guess a vacuum leak may be the culprit otherwise?
Heater AC Control.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

with it on heat check for vacuum at the flow control valve in the heater hose, if there is no vacuum there is a valve in beside the heater fan (a real pain in the backside to get to) mine had a cracked hose in there I had to trim

I had a similar problem with my 1966 with air conditioning, what i found was the heater core was partially plugged, I used Hot water hose from water heater and a Lisle flush gun, to reverse flush the core. .. My heater and Defroster work Great now No leaks Hope this helps

Re-attached the vacuum hose on the heater control valve, and she heats GREAT now. As a matter of fact, that's all she'll do! No adjustment - hotter than blazes! I can't lower the temp.

So, I suppose the "good news" is that the heater core works just fine. Now I'll have to figure out why I have this issue. I am still not convinced I don't have a vacuum problem, because switching between "Heat", "Defrost" and "A/C" the air still flows out of parts where it shouldn't (always a little coming out everywhere).

Watch this video this guy knows his stuff!!! 1961-66 Thunderbird A/C and heater Vacuum System Layout - YouTube Also a picture of my controller from an early 64 ,black clip is nothing more than a detent, gold bracket moves the stopper with rubber button out only at extreme end of lever travel, silver clip by black rubber button is just a retainer to keep the guts from coming out. Depending on which side of the globe you live on you have 6 months to figure it out. lol

Attachments

• IMG_5626[1].JPG
    IMG_5626[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Back