1965 Fuel Pump ? & air injection removal

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
B

BigAl

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, getting back into vintage cars after several years.
Long story so hopefully some of you will make it to my questions.
I recently purchased a 1965 Hardtop that has been in a garage for over 30+ years. It was donated and went to auction, where I bought it. The car has 71,500 miles on it, has never been painted, and has the original interior in very good condition. Northern California all it's life so zero rust. These are the factors that helped me make a decision to buy. After getting the original title I contacted the owner for as much info and history as possible.
All good news except for one big item. Back in the late 60's or early 70's the car overheated and destroyed the factory motor. He replaced it with a fairly new used motor that came from a 1966 Thunderbird. Most info that I see says that they should be pretty much identical but there are a few differences. All of the casting numbers that I can find, intake and exhaust manifolds, carb tag, etc. say that's it's a 66 motor. I'm changing pretty much everything that would affect reliability and safety.
My first question is regarding the fuel pump. The replacement pump for 65 and 66 looks like it has the filter cannister on the bottom of the pump. The existing pump on the motor now does not have the filter cannister, just the pump. The replacement pump I bought has the cannister. The problem is, is that the pump with the cannister will not fit. The pump is too long and the cannister hits the sway bar. I just can't figure it out. Do I have to buy a newer style pump without the cannister or am I missing something here. Currently there's no fuel filter at all.
My second question is regarding the air injection system that's on the 66 but not the 65. I'd like to get rid of it.
I realize that I'll need to keep the air pump in place because of the pulley, but I'd like to get rid of all of the hose's, vacuum lines, etc. Any thought's, ideas, etc?
Many thanks in advance.
Al

Hi there Al. I've seen two sizes of twist on fuel filters on those pumps, so perhaps there is a shorter one. On the other hand, you can use the pump without the filter and just put an inline filter in the fuel line between the pump and the carb. That's a good idea anyway since carbs, especially, holleys, seems to be very sensitive to little specs of dirt.

On the second item, seems like you don't need the air pump and certainly in California your car no longer requires mandatory smog checks. You ought to be able to eliminate the air pump and bracket altogether I would think. A worthy goal!

Where in Northern California are you Al? I'm located in the Santa Cruz area.

Doug

Welcome to the forum. When you post, please choose a meaningful detail title/subject that summarizes your post. "1965 Thunderbird" really doesn't tell anyone anything. I am revising now.

Hello Doug,
I'll check into the possibility that there is a different size pump. I know that I could put a filter inline but I'd prefer to get the pump with a filter on it. I'm having a problem understanding why the current pump doesn't have the built in filter and why no inline filter. Also why a pump that's specified for the car would interfere with the sway bar to the point of actually not fitting.
With the air injection system I just want to remove all of the plumbing. There's quite a bit of rubber hose running all over the motor. I need to leave the pump in place because it's the tensioner for the A/C belt and I'm not sure what to do with the injectors in the heads. Just leave them there and hope that the check valve holds?
I'm up in Fairfield, about midway between San Francisco and Sacramento right on I-80.
Al

Hi Al. I'm familiar with Fairfield, we lived in Davis for 20 years before moving to Ben Lomond (north of Santa Cruz).

I think there are two types of pumps made by the aftermarket industry, those with canister filters and those without. Not sure why your car doesn't already have an inline filter however my '64 didn't either, I had to add that. As far as the sway bar interference, it is a close thing with the canister type filter, if memory servers there's about an inch or two of clearance. Perhaps your sway bar is aftermarket?

Sounds like the air injection system is more complicated than I was thinking. This may be a "blessing in disguise" as my grandmother used to say, an excuse to replace those inefficient stock heads and the intake manifold while you're at it. Replacing the heads and intake manifold can add some significant torque and horsepower as well as reducing weight. The manifold alone is ~80 pounds of cast iron and replacing it with an aluminum dual plane manifold improves air flow which these old FE stock engines sorely need.

Doug

Back