1965 engine casting code- C5AE 6015 A

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 65 engine (or at least I think) and I’m trying to figure out what exactly I have.

Casting code is C5AE 6015 A

There is one other I can find on the front of the block below the drives side head JT1167

When I search online all I get is it is a code for a 289 Shelby engine which can’t be right. any help is appreciated

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Everything I have lists it as a 289 HiPo. Not sure why you think it CAN'T be; swaps by owners back in the day were common. Dropping a small block that spun up faster than the big torque-y FE's combined with replacement rear gears over 4.00 were common for quick-off-the-line racing; these cars never saw a highway. They sport 4.00 bores and are an easy spot. Good news is that 289 high performance blocks are sought-after by the Mustang lovers, while FE Big Blocks (our beloved 390 especially) live under the hoods of Ford trucks especially but lots of cars too at many junk yards everywhere and are an easy find.

well ok. Can’t was a strong word... more like I can’t believe it would be that engine. It also has an edlebrock intake manifold on it that is stamped a 390. Not that that really means anything although I wouldn’t think a 289 and a 390 would use the same intake. One place I read said it would have the 289 stamped in the V... I assume that means under the intake?

well ok. Can’t was a strong word... more like I can’t believe it would be that engine. It also has an edlebrock intake manifold on it that is stamped a 390. Not that that really means anything although I wouldn’t think a 289 and a 390 would use the same intake. One place I read said it would have the 289 stamped in the V... I assume that means under the intake?
Yes, if you want to go that far. Removing the manifold tray/gasket exposing the "valley" will usually reveal the boring on a Ford small block. I know there are guys around that know Ford small blocks - can someone chime in? I also know LOTS of guys dropped small blocks in these cars though, with the 351 being the most common. But I also know that Ford cast both 351's and 289's with the same initial casting numbers; I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess if tested you may actually have that third choice: a 351.
Can some Ford guy tell us if the small blocks have a 10-bolt head? That should be easier to spot, the 2 rows of 5 head bolts bolting down each cyl head..

This was bugging me (mainly because this should be simple to spot) so I went & found a picture of a 289 (on eBay). Things that stand out;
Dip stick tube much farther forward, on front of block. My '390 has it on driver side in the middle. May not mean anything?
Oil filler tube on valve cover. Mine 'Bird has it off the Intake on passenger side. Again, may not be meaningful.
Never worked on a Ford SB; I'm sure other who have will chime in.
s-l500.jpg

I have a website which lists FE engine castings, (can't seem to attach it to the reply), but it lists a C5AE designation for most of the engine block displacements., from a 330 cu (truck) to the 427's and 428's. In the 390 cu list, it does have a C5AE listing as a '65 390 cu. However it should have a following letter, either an A or B, which denotes it as a Police Interceptor model. IE: C5AE-A (or B)

Cheers

Interesting,number on your block. I would guess it is a standard 390, with the A behind the 6015 number. If it was the Police interceptor block with solid lifters, (highly unlikely in a Thunderbird), it would probably have the B letter. On the list/chart, the standard 390 for 64 and up are A.
Cheers

Another thought, on your VIN plate, the "Vehicle warranty Number" should have the 5th letter as a "Z" which means it was built with an 8 cylinder 390 cu 4 barrel. That would prove that it was built with a 390, and if someone has changed the motor afterwards, it is not relevant. However, I discount the 289 theory, as the 289 engine is physically a lot smaller than the FE series, 352 to 428 cu. The FE series was originally a big hp truck engine, larger and heavier than a 289 block.

I don’t actually know what the engine is out of. Someone basically gave it to me. We were planning to put it in our 65 thunderbird. Mostly just curious. Although if I need parts it would be useful to know (I think it needs a new oil pump)

I have a 65 engine (or at least I think) and I’m trying to figure out what exactly I have.

Casting code is C5AE 6015 A

There is one other I can find on the front of the block below the drives side head JT1167

When I search online all I get is it is a code for a 289 Shelby engine which can’t be right. any help is appreciated
Hi...
I have 1965 TB, would you mind to inform where did you get the engine number from?

Thank you

@DougRoy, the engine on the stand in your picture is a 390.
As a side note small block engines were not offered in the thunderbirds in 1965

Yes, if you want to go that far. Removing the manifold tray/gasket exposing the "valley" will usually reveal the boring on a Ford small block. I know there are guys around that know Ford small blocks - can someone chime in? I also know LOTS of guys dropped small blocks in these cars though, with the 351 being the most common. But I also know that Ford cast both 351's and 289's with the same initial casting numbers; I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess if tested you may actually have that third choice: a 351.
Can some Ford guy tell us if the small blocks have a 10-bolt head? That should be easier to spot, the 2 rows of 5 head bolts bolting down each cyl head..
Hi there. The 351 Windsor engine was first used in Ford cars in 1969. I have one in my '69 Galaxie if you need any pictures or measurements.

Back