1965 Dash Lights not working

T

TripleR

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
New to group, so if there is a thread someone can direct me to I would be thankful. All my gauges are working, When I turn the headlight control switch all the way to the left the rear interior lights come. The dash light do not come on. Is there a relay that would control them all or do I have to check each bulb individually? Thanks.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

there is 2 fuses on the back of the light switch if i remember right. could be one of them is blown

there is 2 fuses on the back of the light switch if i remember right. could be one of them is blown
Do I need to pull the switch out to check the fuses or are they accessible?

New to group, so if there is a thread someone can direct me to I would be thankful. All my gauges are working, When I turn the headlight control switch all the way to the left the rear interior lights come. The dash light do not come on. Is there a relay that would control them all or do I have to check each bulb individually? Thanks.
Try replacing your hi/lo headlight switch. 11.00 at autozone. Mine now work on hibesms but still no lights in gauges on low beams. Mine is a 66, Im trying to fix the gauge lights also.

It's likely that the lights switch itself. The switch is unique to the 65 & 66 so one from a 64 won't work as it was for that year only. The reostat is probably worn out or dirty causing the dash lights to not work. You might try removing the switch open it and try to clean it using an electrical contact cleaner. You might try E-bay to see if you can locate a replacement.

Good luck!

Dash lights are usually controlled by a separate thumbwheel somewhere on the dash...next to headlight switch? or check the fuse

Dash lights are usually controlled by a separate thumbwheel somewhere on the dash...next to headlight switch? or check the fuse
No thumb wheels on 64, 65 or 66 Thunderbird's. (Except for the Cruise control)

Last edited:
What angrybird said. 90% of the time the rheostat is the problem. If the resistance coil is not broken, it is usually the rivited connections that are the problem. In the past I have soldered the rivet connections to bridge the corrosion and bring them back to life.

Thanks for the advice. Turns out it is the switch itself. The contact where the wheels spins is cracked. Will attempt to fix or just see if I can get another one.

What angrybird said. 90% of the time the rheostat is the problem. If the resistance coil is not broken, it is usually the rivited connections that are the problem. In the past I have soldered the rivet connections to bridge the corrosion and bring them back to life.
My'57 dash lights hadn't worked in years. I finally got under the dash with a mechanic's mirror and sprayed PB Blaster on the rheostat and Voila, adjustable dash lights. Yup just dirty contacts.

Try replacing your hi/lo headlight switch. 11.00 at autozone. Mine now work on hibesms but still no lights in gauges on low beams. Mine is a 66, Im trying to fix the gauge lights also.
update, I replaced my light switch again, and went with a dorman unit and cut down my knob post. (it suck out due to the change in length for the aftermarket switch) Now all lights and guages work. The old version appears in good condition, and cost five times as much.... and then did not work for my instrument lights. I also replaced all my bulbs at the same time.

update, I replaced my light switch again, and went with a dorman unit and cut down my knob post. (it suck out due to the change in length for the aftermarket switch) Now all lights and guages work. The old version appears in good condition, and cost five times as much.... and then did not work for my instrument lights. I also replaced all my bulbs at the same time.
To take out the light switch, can that be done without taking apart the dashboard? I looks like I can squeeze my hand behind the dash to disconnect the connector. thx

Back