1965 Convertible Relay Trouble Shoot??

Tommy65
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently got a 1965 Thunderbird Convertible. Got the motor all rebuilt and now I'm working on the Convertible Top. It only seems to work when I use a jumper wire to the relays. Does that mean the limit switches are bad or do I have a bad ground?? Any information will be helpful! Please and Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I second what @biddle said. I install these on my 63 and it made everything easier. It wont't fix everything but you can adresss alot of just with that. Limit switches are a bear. Be careful with them, they are made of unobtainium.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is likely one or more of the individual switches or the upper back panel limit switch. There are a number of youtube videos you can look for that can help. The following may be a good starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently got a 1965 Thunderbird Convertible. Got the motor all rebuilt and now I'm working on the Convertible Top. It only seems to work when I use a jumper wire to the relays. Does that mean the limit switches are bad or do I have a bad ground?? Any information will be helpful! Please and Thank you!
Your problem may be the neutral safety switch however if that switch is bad, the car won't start unless you bypass the starter solenoid.

Back