1965 - cannot pump grease into zerk

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have a tip on how to get the front end joints to accept grease?
My wife is starting to drive her car more, and I think I should get some grease in there.
When I tried to lube the front end, a number of the joints rejected my effort.
Thanks - Jody

If you can get the car up on a lift and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth-while the other person works the grease gun-that sometimes helps. Other than that you just have to replace the fittings.....

I will try the suggestion of turning the wheel (I already changed the fittings, that did not help).

I had a similar problem on my Mustang. I cleaned the grease fittings and was using a pneumatic Harbor Freight grease gun. I went out and bought a higher pressure (and more expensive) gun and that worked fine. Hope this helps.

My wife is starting to drive her car more, and I think I should get some grease in there.
Thanks - Jody
Replace the zerks, buy them at any auto parts store for less than a buck. Your's are probably full of junk from not being serviced for a while.

Thanks - Jody
sometimes you can heat the zerks and melt the dried out grease in them. otherwise just replace the zerks

The first thing I did was put in new zerks when I failed last time I tried.
I will try again eventually.
Is it reasonably safe to apply torch heat to the joints?

Jody

I would try using the highest pressure pneumatic grease gun you could get with the new fittings to see if you could force the grease.

Back