1965 Ammeter to voltmeter conversion | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1965 Ammeter to voltmeter conversion

• Thread starter Thread starter Mooney_Pilot
  • Start date Start date
M

Mooney_Pilot

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I am preparing to install a 100 amp alternator, which has a single wire connection and a built-in regulator. Cutting out the external regulator will disconnect the ammeter, but it can be rewired to act as a voltmeter. Basically I just have to add a resistance in series with the ammeter (which is very low resistance) and then connect it in parallel to the battery. Simple enough, but what value resistance should I use? I have seen numbers of 1000 ohm, but that is only a rough guide, ideally I would like the gauge to be approximately central when the battery is OK.

I know of a firm in Texas that will do it for a fee, but since I am in Canada that means shipping my ammeter across the border, twice, and that can be expensive. The concept is simple, I just nee to know what value resistance to use - any ideas??

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am preparing to install a 100 amp alternator, which has a single wire connection and a built-in regulator. Cutting out the external regulator will disconnect the ammeter, but it can be rewired to act as a voltmeter. Basically I just have to add a resistance in series with the ammeter (which is very low resistance) and then connect it in parallel to the battery. Simple enough, but what value resistance should I use? I have seen numbers of 1000 ohm, but that is only a rough guide, ideally I would like the gauge to be approximately central when the battery is OK.

I know of a firm in Texas that will do it for a fee, but since I am in Canada that means shipping my ammeter across the border, twice, and that can be expensive. The concept is simple, I just nee to know what value resistance to use - any ideas??

This explains it, go to the second half. https://www.niser.ac.in/sps/sites/d...to voltmeter,a voltmeter of range 0 – V0 volt.

Back