1965 Access to replace vacuum line

richardengine

richardengine

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What needs to be removed for access to under dash vacuum lines on a 1965.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Use the 4 digit model year in your subject as prompted and no need to include the model name since we are an all Thunderbird site. Subject updated.

model-year-TBF.jpg

If your talking about a car with AC then you will probably want to pull the whole dash. There is going to be other things you'll want to do while your in there.

I recommend watching Nick at Vintage Thunderbird starting with this YTube video,
. Another video series to watch for restoring/rebuilding is joernone video,

Hope this helps.

My 65 also has a wiper lever that creeps from off to on, then the wiper starts wiping with no warning. Just realized the wipers are hydraulic so can you tell me what is going on?

My 65 also has a wiper lever that creeps from off to on, then the wiper starts wiping with no warning. Just realized the wipers are hydraulic so can you tell me what is going on?
The vacuum control valve is starting to leak. Somebody else can maybe come up with a solution.

Ward,

The 65 Thunderbird had hydraulic wipers and ran off the power steering pump, so it doesn't have a vacuum control valve.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ward,

The 65 Thunderbird had hydraulic wipers and ran off the power steering pump, so it doesn't have a vacuum control valve.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
There most definitely is a control valve on the switch. How else would you turn them on or off. My '57 works exactly the same way.

There most definitely is a control valve on the switch. How else would you turn them on or off. My '57 works exactly the same way.
Ward,

Your 57 wipers are vacuum controlled, that's why the control valve is on the switch. The control valve on a hydraulic wiper system is on the motor. I read the instructions in the Shop Manual and it states to adjust the control cable so that the control knob on the instrument panel moves the valve control lever on the motor from off to full on.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Ward,

Your 57 wipers are vacuum controlled, that's why the control valve is on the switch. The control valve on a hydraulic wiper system is on the motor. I read the instructions in the Shop Manual and it states to adjust the control cable so that the control knob on the instrument panel moves the valve control lever on the motor from off to full on.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
I stand corrected. Never got into those systems when I had my '66. Hydraulic? Never heard of it. Didn't know they tried that before going to electrical. I can hardly imagine the plumbing issues.

Back