1964 What Engine Do I Have?

64TbirdCross

64TbirdCross

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everybody. I just got my hands 64 thunderbird and I've been trying to figure out exactly what is under the hood. Ive found some numbers by the oil pump and 49 DIF right above it. But I can't seem to find any other information other than the vertical lines the block has is that it's a service block. If anyone could help me with these numbers it'd be alot of help. Thank you

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Every 1964 Thunderbird came with a 390 Engine .If it's stock then that is what is in your 64 Thunderbird. Does it have the Raised emblum "THUNDERBIRD " on the Valve Covers?..If it does, then you have a 390..Congratulations on getting a 64 Thunderbird!!

Hello everybody. I just got my hands 64 thunderbird and I've been trying to figure out exactly what is under the hood. Ive found some numbers by the oil pump and 49 DIF right above it. But I can't seem to find any other information other than the vertical lines the block has is that it's a service block. If anyone could help me with these numbers it'd be alot of help. Thank you
To the best of your knowledge is it the original engine? More than likely it is, and therefore it is the 390 V-8. Despite popular modern fairy tales, the 390 4V was the only engine offered on 1964 (and 1965) Thunderbirds. It is the "Z" in the VIN position #5. The only exception is the very uncommon 390 4V low-compression which was installed on some, and I stress the word 'some' export cars. An export car will have a DSO code in the 90-99 range, and the low-comp engine is the number 9 in position #5. (see example of 97 DSO and number 9 in position #5) A car could be an export car and have the regular 390 4V code Z.

Attachments

• rn85801dp.jpg
    rn85801dp.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
I have "z" on my vin code on the drivers door. But im not forsure if it's the original block or not. That's where I'm stumped. The block is grey with vertical lines. Im just trying to get it too start and run and I just wanna make sure I'm doing everything right.

Attachments

• 20230213_193832.jpg
    20230213_193832.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230213_180423.jpg
    20230213_180423.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Look on the right side of the block near the towards the front.
99 percent chance of a 390. Even if it is a replacement that's ok. Ford did not specifically vin the block to the car at this point, and the only true method of absolute identification is to remove the oil pan. (And it's not worth it)

Back