1964 Thunderbird First Ride

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Folks,

First I wanted to throw a huge thank you to everyone who has helped me with this car so far! I took my maiden voyage in her, Rose, last night. The smooth steering and comfortable ride were everything I dreamed and more. Yes, it needs new suspension parts, bodywork, interior work, and lots more TLC but she drove...in my mind drove great. Rose is parked in the garage ready to go over to the darn vehicle registration office for inspection and registration. After that, she comes home, goes up on jack stands and I will start the work the brake and suspension work - most of the brakes are new though. Fuel lines and so on - I will have tons of questions I am sure - (about to pose one in another posting).

Thanks for everything!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I remember when I first got mine. It was brought to Florida from Virginia, and the truck dropped it at a warehouse in Venice. I drove down and saw it sitting there. They brought it to the house, where my father was there to sign for it -- I was at work and could not take off. I then had the fun of pumping up three tires, long enough to push it into the garage before they went flat again. After a fair amount of tinkering, I was able to rive it around the block (private community), and later took it out on the "main road" for its maiden voyage. I actually drove past a car show, but didn't stop in for fear of not being able to get home again. Today the car is still a project, but a LOT has been done -- and it rides and handles great.

Don - so you ventured out and made it back? Congratulations!

Doug

Thanks Doug!! I know, I was shocked LOL. I thought...wait, this is too good to be true...I am going to get around the block and it's going to burst into flames and I am going to roll up a to the house a laughing skeleton! HA! She needs a ton of work, but at least it drove. I am looking into shocks now.

I remember when I first got mine. It was brought to Florida from Virginia, and the truck dropped it at a warehouse in Venice. I drove down and saw it sitting there. They brought it to the house, where my father was there to sign for it -- I was at work and could not take off. I then had the fun of pumping up three tires, long enough to push it into the garage before they went flat again. After a fair amount of tinkering, I was able to rive it around the block (private community), and later took it out on the "main road" for its maiden voyage. I actually drove past a car show, but didn't stop in for fear of not being able to get home again. Today the car is still a project, but a LOT has been done -- and it rides and handles great.

Sounds like our stories are similar - its gonna be a great deal of work - but I think she is worth it!

Hey Don, let us know what you find for shocks. Extra heavy-duty shocks are called for but the only ones I've found so far are sold by Bird Nest at $80 a pop. Doug

Hey Don, let us know what you find for shocks. Extra heavy-duty shocks are called for but the only ones I've found so far are sold by Bird Nest at $80 a pop. Doug

Hey Doug,

I was going to ask you guys for recommendations lol on my 67 Chrysler I had Gabriel highjackers, air shocks, wonder if that would be good for the 'bird?

I have a web sight for bilestein shocks 492. Complete set

Hey there ezdarryl, I'd like to check that out. Could you send the URL please? Doug

I drove my 69 for the first time with only first gear. Always though it revved rather high. Also had only rear brakes and the front suspension was metal to metal clanking the entire time. That was a while ago and A lot of time and money spent.

Back