1964 Tbird Transmission concerns

what was he slamming? A wheel, the brake pedal, what?

you got wood, you got it all buddy
what was he slamming? A wheel, the brake pedal, what?

you got wood, you got it all buddy

LMAO - I just looked around and was thinking...that's what she said :) He was slamming on the parking brake/ebrake pedal - apparently it was stuck.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Don. The car delivery guy didn't do you any favors. The e brake pedal wasn't stuck. There's a manual release lever for the e brake, it's a little stubby lever located right above the e brake pedal. As mentioned somewhere above, the e brake would normally be released via the vacuum release mechanism when the car is running and is put in gear. If the car isn't running, or the vacuum mechanism is not working, then the manual release lever is available to release the e brake. Hopefully he didn't mess up the mechanism by smacking it with that 2x4.

On my '64, I added a 4 inch extension to the manual e brake release lever and that's what I use. It's kind of cool 'cause I just step down on it with my left foot to release the e brake.

Doug

Hey Don. The car delivery guy didn't do you any favors. The e brake pedal wasn't stuck. There's a manual release lever for the e brake, it's a little stubby lever located right above the e brake pedal. As mentioned somewhere above, the e brake would normally be released via the vacuum release mechanism when the car is running and is put in gear. If the car isn't running, or the vacuum mechanism is not working, then the manual release lever is available to release the e brake. Hopefully he didn't mess up the mechanism by smacking it with that 2x4.

On my '64, I added a 4 inch extension to the manual e brake release lever and that's what I use. It's kind of cool 'cause I just step down on it with my left foot to release the e brake.

Doug

Hey Doug,

I totally agree - I was kinda shocked but I just wanted it over with. I shipped with A-1 and it was a nightmare - they ended up charging 75 more that the "max quoted," He tried the release I believe, it is right above the brake right? I like the idea of your release - can you send some pictures of it? I would love to see it!

Hi Don

Nothing too elegant. I took a 4" bolt, cut the head off, bent it so it rests out from the kick panel, jammed two nuts on the threaded end, and attached it to the manual release lever with a hose clamp. My plan, though I may never get around to it, is to find a lever that is more in keeping with car's motif (French word, but must have Latin roots:)). What might look and work well is to use the end of an old turn signal lever.

I had an old turn signal lever from the Galaxie and threw it away - can't believe I did that.

Doug

upload_2019-4-26_13-47-59.png

Back