1964 Tbird radial tire pressure?

ak7an
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I know these cars were designed for and used bias ply tires. I currently have 215/70R 15 Bridgestone whitewall radials on mine. What pressure should I run in them? Info I got from the broker that I got mine from said 40psi. Sidewall says max of 35. Wouldn't that be hard on them to run them a 40? Just curious as to what others recommend and use.
Thanks
Ed

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

32 psi. Monitor tire wear and adjust pressure if needed.

32 psi. Monitor tire wear and adjust pressure if needed.

That sounds good to me too.. I will adjust and monitor my tire wear.. These are heavy cars so might need to have fronts and rears lightly different..
Thanks
Ed

That's an interesting point. Begs the question of what the weight distribution is on these heavy birds, and I have to admit I don't have a clue. If you rotate the tires on a regular basis, the wear should all even out. For the cars I've owned, the tire shops have never recommended different pressures front and back.

I was told that my front wheels have more backspacing than my rears, so no rotating front to rear and vice versa.. I really like the looks of the Wires, but I hear they are a maintenance headache..
Thanks
Ed

Had to look up backspacing. I guess it means more tire in the wheel well? Have never heard this before. Even if that's the case, why would that affect rotation?

Last edited:
Had to look up backspacing. I guess it means more tire in the wheel well? Have never heard this before. Even if that's the case, why would that affect rotation?

It means that the wheels that are on the rear wouldn't clear the disc brake calipers on the front. My 1964 gas been updated with front disc brakes. They would rub. I guess one could get wheels that had the proper backspacing for the front and use them all the way around..
Cheers
Ed

OK, got it. I think I read in another post that 1/4 inch thick spacers will eliminate the rubbing issue.

I know these cars were designed for and used bias ply tires. I currently have 215/70R 15 Bridgestone whitewall radials on mine. What pressure should I run in them? Info I got from the broker that I got mine from said 40psi. Sidewall says max of 35. Wouldn't that be hard on them to run them a 40? Just curious as to what others recommend and use.
Thanks
Ed
I am running 215-75r radials on my ‘64 convertible. The factory book for bias ply tires says 24psi all around and add 4psi for high speed or loads. Well, I tried that and that’s way too soft! I am presently running 28 in all four, and it drives/handles very nicely.

I settled on 34 PSI all the way around. I tried 32 and the sidewalls looks pretty squashed. I am sure it varies from tire to tire as some have different load index ratings. It rides very nice and after getting used to the way these old cars handle it is fine. I plan on replacing my bridgestones with a Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II.. Sure hard to find a tire with any type of white wall these days, unless you want to pay an arm and a leg o_O..
Take care
Ed

Back