1964 T Bird gas tank leak

64ZCODE

64ZCODE

Last seen
Viewing thread 1962 needs 12 volts to coil 100%
Thunderbird Year
Hi all. I've had the '64 for a few months now. Today I opened up the trunk and saw a wet stain on the back left corner (driver side) of the trunk floor. I peeled up the trunk liner (it's the wrong one anyway) and saw that in that back corner, the insulation under the liner is saturated with gas. It's in the process of drying out right now.

Looking at where the tank is situated, I think it's likely that the O ring and gasket where the filler pipe enters the tank is leaking, which would mainly happen when the tank is full (which it is). It doesn't look too difficult to replace these seals. Wondering if others have experience with this, both the replacement process but also whether there is potentially something else leaking? From the shop manual drawing, it doesn't look like the hose and gauge connection points to the tank could be causing this.

Thanks!

Doug

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The gas tank is under the car. Just the filler tube passes through the trunk. It is possible that “sloshing” fuel might get into trunk if the trunk seal is bad (along with the “o” ring at the tank), but I would first check to see if the filler tube has holes (rust) in it.

Oh, and to remove the filler tube, there are 4 screws around the Gas Cap. Remove them, and just “pull” the tube straight out the Gas Cap opening.

Back