1964 Strange Noise on first 5 Minutes of Driving

Hoopy

Hoopy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 64 Convertible has an odd noise, like a groan, that only occurs in the first 5 or so minutes of driving it. It only happens when the car is moving. I'm guessing power steering, but there are no leaks nor does the steering feel any different. Transmission? But it shifts fine. Once the car is warmed up a bit, the sound goes away. It doesn't have AC. Any thoughts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It could be coming from your brake booster. Check to see if it occurs while or after applying the brakes.

I don't know but am quite interested in the answer. My '64 does the same thing, a groaning noise in the first few minutes after cold startup, usually when going up hill and without applying the brakes. I have a '69 Galaxy 500 and it does the same thing. Doesn't seem to be associated with applying the brakes but does sound like it could be coming from the brake booster. I've also wondered about whether it could be the modulator valve in the tranny. Thankfully the sound goes away and so do my musings about the actual issue...

Hi from New Zealand. Yep I would also be interested in where the noise comes from. Mine does it just once straight after starting. I thought it may have something to do with one of the vacuum / air devices or ventilation.

Hi from New Zealand. Yep I would also be interested in where the noise comes from. Mine does it just once straight after starting. I thought it may have something to do with one of the vacuum / air devices or ventilation.
I think it is the fluid from the hydraulic wipers pumping up after being sitting for a while, only does it when cold. my 63 does it also sometimes.
Ian

If you are talking about an embarrassing flatulence sound, it's the pressure regulator unit in the "cast iron medium case" Cruise-o-Matic. Check the fluid level and condition. The tranny in my '64 convertible I rebuilt 30 years ago and that leaks like sieve makes the noise. The tranny I just rebuilt in my '64 hardtop doesn't. The old rebuild shifts perfectly. The new rebuild is erratic. I think I'd rather have the noise! In my experience the noise goes away once the oil warms up.

Back