1964 Steering complete correction instructions

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,

I am finally ready; I want to completely redo my steering column and make it as safe as possible. Is there a comprehensive guide? Is there a video I can reference? I know there are a ton of videos on YouTube, but so much information on different processes. I am ready to pull the column and refurbish the slide mechanism all the way down to the rag joint. I do not want the car to ever hop out of gear, and I don't want a sloppy shifter any longer, or any play. Can some kind soul guide me a bit or set me on the right path? I am not sure where to start.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you find a video on a tbird steering column install please share it as I find very little on tbird video how-tos. Most just show it after it's all done but don't show the whole process. Or just show off how awesome their restoration and car is, but not details on how they did it. I need to make some.

Hello all,

I am finally ready; I want to completely redo my steering column and make it as safe as possible. Is there a comprehensive guide? Is there a video I can reference? I know there are a ton of videos on YouTube, but so much information on different processes. I am ready to pull the column and refurbish the slide mechanism all the way down to the rag joint. I do not want the car to ever hop out of gear, and I don't want a sloppy shifter any longer, or any play. Can some kind soul guide me a bit or set me on the right path? I am not sure where to start.
Hello there Don! Not knowing the condition of the steering column, I wonder if you'd want to start with replacing the detent plate and possibly the shift lever if it has a groove worn in it? That might take care of the sloppy shifting issue. But of course, if the bushings are worn (steering wheel is sloppy) then more is needed.

Anyway, here's a YouTube video about the lever that I found quite helpful, and there's lots more where this came from:

Doug

Hello, I have just aquired my first Tbird. 1964 and very impressed with it. I have just put it over the pits here in WA Australia as I had it delivered from Queensland.
couple of issues were brought up
rear seat belt missing which is quite an easy fix once i know how to remove rear seats. I dont think the rear seats were originally fitted and 1 is missing so i will put another in. the existing one is after market looking quite modern
the concerning thing is the description of the rear light. I quote the engineer report.
"to have a divider put between the tail light and indicator brake light seeps into tail light?.

also tghink linkage on transmission may need adjusting. On starting I have to raise the gear lever slightly to engage starter. any ideas?
thanks guys, I look forward to driving my T bird.

update, most things now been sorted except the gear lever, seems to be a common and dangerous issue. how does the lever come out, i am quite mechanical but unable to find how it disconnects for me to check

Hi there 1964admired, and welcome. The shift linkage sloppiness is a frequent problem and you can find lots written about it by searching on this forum and also on YouTube. Until you get it sorted, always carry a wheel chock to use when parking on a slope and when parking, move the swing steering wheel (I believe all '64s were so equipped) all the way to the right, which locks the transmission into Park. And of course make sure your emergency brake works!

Having to bump the gear lever up in order for the car to start is a symptom of the sloppy transmission linkage. There's a mechanical switch that the mechanism must actuate in order for the car to turn over.

Just guessing what the engineer was talking about, but is it sounds like maybe there's a blurring between two lights. Either that or water damage or some sort? Suggest just making sure the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals all work as intended and go from there.

Doug

Hi there 1964admired, and welcome. The shift linkage sloppiness is a frequent problem and you can find lots written about it by searching on this forum and also on YouTube. Until you get it sorted, always carry a wheel chock to use when parking on a slope and when parking, move the swing steering wheel (I believe all '64s were so equipped) all the way to the right, which locks the transmission into Park. And of course make sure your emergency brake works!

Having to bump the gear lever up in order for the car to start is a symptom of the sloppy transmission linkage. There's a mechanical switch that the mechanism must actuate in order for the car to turn over.

Just guessing what the engineer was talking about, but is it sounds like maybe there's a blurring between two lights. Either that or water damage or some sort? Suggest just making sure the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals all work as intended and go from there.

Doug
Hey Doug, I did the detent plate and the selector helps a bit but it is still kind of wobbly as well as VERY sloppy shift linkage. I feel like I am lost in sea of information - know of any solid guides to fix the remaining sloppy column as well as the selector?

Hey Don. I like this video because he shows all the parts in the steering column and shifter mechanism and where the slop occurs:

I've not had to rebuild the steering column myself (been putting it off as my car is drivable and safe - for now) but have seen plenty of posts on this forum and the Vintage tbirds forum about the process. It's mainly replacing bushings at the top and bottom of the steering column. The one at the bottom of the steering column can be replaced with the column in the car by splitting the bushing.

Doug

Hello all,

thee is a t-bird guy from Canada on you tube who is very good and this.

Back