1964 Starting Issue

ddelmage

ddelmage

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just purchased a 64 T-Bird and she purrs, that is once she is started. When cold, I have to spray starter fluid into the carburetor. Once she is started, she will restart without issue. Do I need to rebuild the carburetor?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Just purchased a 64 T-Bird and she purrs, that is once she is started. When cold, I have to spray starter fluid into the carburetor. Once she is started, she will restart without issue. Do I need to rebuild the carburetor?
Couldn't hurt other than it could just be the accelerator pump which is easy to replace and probably available on it's own and not a whole kit.

How long does it have to sit before being hard to start? Along with the other things mentioned a weak fuel can cause similar issues.

IF you hold the choke open and blip the linkage and get a good squirt down the carb throat; its prob not the accel pump - you really need to check the choke, on a cool day the plate should be complletely closed (or very nearly so).

IF you hold the choke open and blip the linkage and get a good squirt down the carb throat; its prob not the accel pump - you really need to check the choke, on a cool day the plate should be complletely closed (or very nearly so).
I have ordered a choke line kit as it wasn't attached, although I doubt this is the starting issue. It needs to sit overnight before it won't start. It runs really rich, hoping the choke line kit resolves this.

Does the choke function as it should? Very important when cold starting.
No, I chocked that up to the choke lines not being installed correctly. I could be wrong..??

Will give that a go, the choke plate is almost complete closed.

Couldn't hurt other than it could just be the accelerator pump which is easy to replace and probably available on it's own and not a whole kit.
Hi Ward,
Any suggestions on where I could purchase and accelerator pump?

Back